Slip joint pliers as pipe wrench

I had a 12" pair of NWS (like knipex cobras) pliers to hold a 3/4" copper pipe while I removed a real tight fitting and I couldn't get it to keep the pipe still (they were in the right direction). Then I used a pair of Channelock 12" and the straight jaws had no problem. Are you all able to use the knipex-style pliers on round objects as well as a pipe wrench or even traditional channelocks?
    I carry both now, but always have to use a pipe wrench for real tight torque stuff.

I never have any problems using my Knipex Cobras. I've only used a pipe wrench a handful of times since I got them.
    I don't really do a lot of gas pipe work though, mainly just from the gas valve to outside the cabinet, but the Cobras seem to work better than a pipe wrench when I need to do a 180 turn off the gas valve to exit the right side of the furnace.

I have a couple of pairs of NWS pliers, linesmans and radio pliers, and am not impressed with them vs. Knipex.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I really like pipe wrenches the more I use them but they are so dang heavy, even the Al ones (just not a bad), I only grab one when I already know ill need it. Just got a big chain wrench, can't wait to give it its day in court.

Oh yeah and I know they are not technically slip joint pliers, but "water pump" pliers.

Technically, they would be tongue-and-groove pliers.

That's right

So where did you buy the Knipex pliers? I looked on their website, but it didn't say where to buy their products.

Knipex are pretty easy to find, in store at sears or at any big online seller, amazon, eBay, etc. The pliers wrench, I think, is the crown jewel of their stuff because there's no equivalent by anyone else, and its pretty much the sh-- for many uses.
    If you are interested in NWS stuff, which is arguably equal or better than knipex, they are much harder to find, I always use german-hand-tools.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I never have any problems using my Knipex Cobras. I've only used a pipe wrench a handful of times since I got them.
    I don't really do a lot of gas pipe work though, mainly just from the gas valve to outside the cabinet, but the Cobras seem to work better than a pipe wrench when I need to do a 180 turn off the gas valve to exit the right side of the furnace.

I have a couple of pairs of NWS pliers, linesmans and radio pliers, and am not impressed with them vs. Knipex.
    Mark, could you tell me which Knipex Cobra pliers you have. I see that there are many different kinds and sizes. Do you have the pipe wrench pliers, and if so, what size do you find to work best for pipe work.

In case you've never been shown this. Place the pliers where the handle of the short jaw is the one getting the pressure when you pull. This gives greater mechanical leverage and grips the pipe or fitting with more force.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin