Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Fieldpice wireless range question, SDP2 + HG3

I picked up an HG3 today, and updated it to work with my SDP2, but on all 3 calls I tried to use it on this afternoon, The HG3 lost the signal before I got to the outdoor unit.
    All 3 homes have the indoor unit in the attic, and the outdoor unit on the ground outside, <60' away.

Is there any trick to keeping them connected?

Will the wireless transmitters work as a repeater for the SDP2?

Is there some way to set them up so that the HG3 will automatically reacquire the signal if I come back in range of the SPD2?
    In one of the houses, the outdoor unit was within 30 feet of the indoor unit, but the path out of the attic, and out through the house, took me out of range.

These were not even large homes, all 3 were under 2000 sq ft.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Here ya go.

ET2W Wireless Transmitter

Use the ET2W Wireless Transmitter with any measurement head to a EH4W Wireless Handle and make your accessory heads into standalone wireless instruments. Wireless signals can be sent from up to 75’ away, so for example you can take your wet bulb measurements and have the live data in your hand while working on the condenser. The wireless transmitter can also be set up as a repeater to rebroadcast a single in a area contaminated with interfering RF or just to extend the distance.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Here ya go.

ET2W Wireless Transmitter
    I tried that, but I couldn't get the wireless transmitter to connect with the SDP2, but I may not have been holding my mouth right.

I think the ET2W may only work for repeating a signal from another ET2W that has an accessory head plugged into it, and is only sending one measurement.

I live in a two story house and when I made my videoI experienced this same thing as i was walking downstairs i briefly lost signal , but as i walked outside to the condensing unit it picked the signal back up on its own, granted I only had one bar of signal outside it was working. Im curious why yours is not re connecting, I know that i have read that the wireless handles can be used as repeaters, I just dont know how to do it, Im going to talk to Fieldpiece about this tomorrow I will let you know what I find out

Well, my frustration today may have been my own doing.

I was just looking at the screen on my SDP2, and noticed the battery indicator was on its last bar.
    Pulled the battery out and it was down to 8.2v, and if there is anything that will kill the range of a small battery powered transmitter, it is a weak battery...
    I've been using it stand alone for a few weeks now, on every call, and usually use the backlight quite a bit.

I'll try again tomorrow with a fresh battery.

I was losing a signal yesterday but it would come back. Did you install the new firmware? It was really giving me fits until I did that.
    1st generation product woes.
    We shall never prevent the abuse of power if we are not
    prepared to limit power in a way which occasionally may
    prevent its use for desirable purposes.

F.A. Hayek

Quote Originally Posted by crstephens83 View Post
    I live in a two story house and when I made my videoI experienced this same thing as i was walking downstairs i briefly lost signal , but as i walked outside to the condensing unit it picked the signal back up on its own, granted I only had one bar of signal outside it was working. Im curious why yours is not re connecting, I know that i have read that the wireless handles can be used as repeaters, I just dont know how to do it, Im going to talk to Fieldpiece about this tomorrow I will let you know what I find out
    Did you happen to get my Private Message on an unrelated subject?

What was your outcome mark?

Maybe a firmware issue. Confirm you have the correct version. I haven't had this problem. I've been 75-100 ft and everything was still connected.

Somewhere it was said that it makes a differance how you set them up. Maybe it had something to do with the Sman being wireless. Sorry probably just caused more confusion. I still haven't used my spd2 or hg3. Wish it would warm up in maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post

Maybe a firmware issue. Confirm you have the correct version. I haven't had this problem. I've been 75-100 ft and everything was still connected.

I couldn't get the sdp2 to connect to the repeater today either. I don't think it is in the cards for that model.

As far as the hg3 goes it really irks me that once you output Teet and repeat the test it doesn't automatically sync to the Spd2. So it's back up to the attic and resend. Why it can't do real time outputs is beyond me.

I'm feeling a little mad about Fieldpiece's claims about its products as far as wireless comm. goes.
    We shall never prevent the abuse of power if we are not
    prepared to limit power in a way which occasionally may
    prevent its use for desirable purposes.

F.A. Hayek

Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    Did you happen to get my Private Message on an unrelated subject?
    I got your email, but didn't get home until 8pm, so only just saw it.
    The time you mentioned should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post

Not surprisingly it works MUCH better when it has a fresh battery!
    I'd still like it to have more range, but at least I was able to see the indoor readings while outside at the condenser today on the single story houses I was working on.
    It was also reconnecting fine the times I did go out of range and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyp19 View Post
    I couldn't get the sdp2 to connect to the repeater today either. I don't think it is in the cards for that model.

As far as the hg3 goes it really irks me that once you output Teet and repeat the test it doesn't automatically sync to the Spd2. So it's back up to the attic and resend. Why it can't do real time outputs is beyond me.
    Yeah, they need a repeater for the SDP2. Unfortunately the big limiting factor on the range is the frequency and broadcast power output allowed by the FCC for these types of devices.
    The hardware to extend the range out to 100 yards is simple and cheap, but the cost of licensing the frequencies would become problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyp19 View Post

I'm feeling a little mad about Fieldpiece's claims about its products as far as wireless comm. goes.
    Here's how to do it:

1) While on the OUTPUT Form, press "Input" to get back to the INPUT FORM
    2) Tap the "Sync" button on the HG3. All measurements will go back to live.

I haven't synced my devices yet and was told to sync my sdp2 to the sman4 and hg3 to sman 4 then any other devices to the hg3, is this standard procedure? I also have the aat3 and was wondering if it should synced to the hg3 for air flow ratings.
    In what order should these be done

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast