Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frustrated, and need to rant!

So we picked up a new contract recently of about 130 old and newer RTUs.. been out there the last couple days doing major inspections and what not. Anyway, so far have condemed over a dozen heat exchangers, among a slew of other repairs.. well, thisafternoon the Property Managemts companys manager got wind of the situation, and demanded we turn the gas back on to these units, we obviousely refused as these were very bad cracks for the most part.. anyway, we were told by this bit-- not to bother coming back tomorow to finish.. It frustrates the hell out of me the ignorance of these people, and I can almost guarantee that these stupid maintnence guys are gonna go turn the gas back on, really wish I did more to disable the heat...electrically. Cheap f-ing bastards risking ppls lives. We are gonna do up a big report and send it to the BC Saftey Authorety Gas Branch and leave it up to them from here... I hope the shut down the buildings till the repairs are made, we shall see.
    Time for a beer

Dude that sucks, but I agree about turning them in. But don't expect to go back there again to fix them.

I'm convinced that the public has little or no respect for the hvac industry...except once every 30 years when they are forced to buy a new unit on the day after xmas for 500% markup!!!
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Document and get signature then walk away. It's their money and liability. It is frustrating though.

Document it and call the local utility. The problem with some of these great contracts that come through the doors and no offense meant. But you're price was probably cheap and likely the reason for getting the contract. The difference is your price was cheap but you are doing the work unlike the last company that was probably nailing them and apparently not doing a damn thing.

Call the gas company and your code enforcement officer. Maybe the local fire dept. for good measure.
    They probably won't want to pay you for services rendered anyway.

are they dedicated units to retail spaces,and with all those failed HXs wonder how are the condensates piped off each unit....for summer drain off. anybuild up of water in the fan sextion will end up on the HXs rotting them .this guy who pulled the plug on the contract is doing damage control he is going to get hung if he gas utility goes around locking up gas lines or demands inspections of all 130 so units....
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

This doesn't happen to be at a place in richmond, bc does it?

Was the gas cut and capped and the units red tagged?
    Was this noted on the service reports and were they signed?
    Were any pictures taken of the cracks?

If everything was done by the book the authority having jurisdiction should be notified to prevent someone else from starting the equipment back up leaving your company liable.

u can involve the local gas provider of the safety issue and they will be forced to pin the meters until the problems r corrected and the residents r safe also the fire dept can help with this issue/and the health dept The residents there might b in to some money from a easy law suit that they will win if the owner puts there life in jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by timtanguay View Post
    This doesn't happen to be at a place in richmond, bc does it?
    Yup... miller rd.

U know the place? Was that u I was talking to on the roof that day?

Not the one I was thinking of. That **** is too common in Richmond though
    I hate working there.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Since the units service a public area just contact the fire marshal's office and send them your detailed reports. Those guy's love nothing better than to swing their weight around. Make sure you document that you are not allowed on the property to finish the inspections and which units you disabled.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast