Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QUESTION.....TESTO 552 Micron Gauge Field Calibration

We just bought a new Testo 552 and used it for the first time today. To perform a test pull, using an almost brand new YJ Bullet vacuum pump (with fresh oil change) new Appion 1/2" vacuum hose connected directly to the the vacuum pump "tree" using Nylog, the pump would only pull down to 910 microns. Rechecked all fittings tight, you know the routine.... Decided to consult the manual.... what a novel idea!

After following the instructions for the field calibration as below, the unit would pull down to ZERO microns within 20 seconds. My question is.... does the procedure just calibrate the micron gauge to the best vacuum that the pump can pull? If so, what if the best it can do is 910 and after field calibrating it reads ZERO, are we erroneously reading a vacuum pull that is not truly the amount in comparison to other micron gauges?

I would appreciate your feedback on this quandary!

4.6 Field calibration
    - Field calibration should be carried out at <15 hPa, field calibration is
    not possible at ambient pressure.
    - The connected vacuum pump should ideally be able to create a
    minimum trace pressure of <0.1hPa.
    - Field calibration tunes the testo 552 to your vacuum pump.
    1 - Connect the vacuum pump to a port of the testo 552.
    - Close the second port with the sealing cap.
    - Start the vacuum pump.
    2 - Wait until minimum pressure is reached.
    - Press and at the same time for at least 3 seconds.
    The testo 552 is zeroed and field calibration is completed

Mine did the same thing. Each time i tried to calibrate it would would not stay set.

I am hearing all kinds of different stories from friends about the the problem.

I don't know what to believe.

Our apologies for how this was presented in the 552 manual. The intention was to provide instruction for our calibration partners that have a proper reference. We will be amending our manuals. Please call me for a UPS account number, and I will have it factory calibrated at no charge. John 973-980-6600.

I lost confidence in mine. I don't even own it any more.

Two Ben Franklins down the drain. What can you do for a guy in my shoes Mr. Bickers?

I spoke with John Bickers today regarding the field calibration issue. He is taking a very proactive stance to remedy my situation, as he is sending a new one as an exchange. He also said that an operators manual addendum and firmware updates are being made to the units. I hope that the Testco 552 proves to be a reliable piece of test equipment. I enjoy trying new brands of equipment and purchased the Testo 552 after attending a recent HVAC seminar that touted the unit as bullet-proof and trouble free. As with any newly released item bugs can be expected. How the bugs are exterminated either builds or kills a manufacturer's reputation. I will keep you posted with the outcome.

For those of you experiencing issues with Testo equipment, I would try contacting John for assistance. I believe that he will stand behind the product.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Each time i tried to calibrate it would would not stay set.

I am hearing all kinds of different stories from friends about the the problem.

I don't know what to believe.
    Thought you had the 570's

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Thought you had the 570's
    I do. 552 is a micron gauge. I don't use the one in the 570 because it has 500 count resolution.

I lost confidence in mine. I don't even own it any more.

Two Ben Franklins down the drain. What can you do for a guy in my shoes Mr. Bickers?
    What? Did you flush it?
    I don't see where it is his problem if you don't even have the meter.

AHhhh my bad. I don't use the 570 micron gauge either. I use the yellow, bluvac. love them. BTW, bad temp sensor on the 570's. Guess I will have to call testo and find out what my options are.
    I do. 552 is a micron gauge. I don't use the one in the 570 because it has 500 count resolution.

John with Testo followed through with excellence! I spoke with John late yesterday afternoon and a new Testo 552 was delivered this morning! Hats off for this kind of service! The problematic unit will be shipped back tomorrow via Testo's UPS account. Thanks John!
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem with my 552. Just got my third replacement unit from John four days ago and still having the same issues.
    What happen with your new gauge did it work?

It works.... am I confident that it is one the money...... Uhm, not so much. What is your 552 doing exactly?
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

So the first gauge out of the package using a brand new pump and vacuum rated hose wouldn't pull bellow 750 microns . So I tested the gauge only and pull down to 550 then I connected two other gauges in series and the others pull down bellow 100 while the 552 still register around 550. I talk to the supply house were I purchase the tool and they said that I needed to zeroed the tool to my pump,so I did following the instructions from testo I guess it work but I was not confident about my evacuations the next time I used it same problem. I took it back the supply house send it to testo for calibration but they send me a new one. So number two gauge took me a while to test but whe I did basically it was doing the same thing then I posted a comment on you tube and john bickers reply and a few days later a had a brand new gauge number three.no surprise same problem there's got to be some sort of internal leak because I perform the same test this time three different gauges that my coworkers let me borrow all gauges in series to the pump but this time I put a valve on the testo ran the pump the testo around 600 the others about 250 I isolated the testo and the others drop right away. I think is time to take my losses and move on to the next one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast