Today I went Yatching (not like you would think)

So I went to the marina to check an AC heat Pump. suppose to be a gas & go. Didn't happen. Another fine mess I got myself into.
    Put the gauges on ant told the owner to start it up. Heard a klick. That was it, play with the tsat a and get klick. My guess is reversing valve.
    The unit was made by Lunair. I understand they are no longer. It is a 220 volt unit has 97 PSI. Power seems to be going to the compressor, but it is cold to the touch. At my age I can't quite stand on my head to get at the wiring box on the compressor. There is a control modual with a resister across it. I don't know but it probably controls the compressor. 2 terminals on top and 2 on the bottom. Then the thermodisk in the compressor could be open. But my gusee is the problem is in the controls. I may take my annie out and try to get at the compressor wiring. Some one changed the thermostat and maybe screwed it up. This might be a good place to try my spd2 if I can ever get it running. Oh yea, it isn't the last boat at the end of the line. It is next to last. So if any one does marine work I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Just curious, not answering anything. Is their a fault circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Just curious, not answering anything. Is their a fault circuit?
    Not that I found, no "wild" voltage. Good question though as lack of ground wires is common.

I learned a long time ago not to waste my time checking out stuff that I either don't specialize in or have little to no chance of making any money doing.

The last time I checked out a marine A/C, I had the guy bring it to my shop. I quickly determined the compressor was shot, the cost to replace was too high and let him know I don't sell marine units...so no chance to make a buck there.

But at least I didn't have to waste a lot of time, expense and effort to get the same result.

I am kinda in the same camp as Ice... If it were me I would be SURE I had the customer prepped for charges that would give me a reasonable return for my effort and time.

Problem with marine stuff is as you said... access... then there is the odd parts... Last time I played with it (on Lake Lanier N of Atlanta), I more or less rebuilt the system with residential parts... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

The boat yard pays me, I still think it is a control issue. No wiring diagram. Tstat looks like line voltage. Can't go back tomorrow I have an
    ice machine with remote to chang in a busy kitchen. Just a bit more room than on the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I am kinda in the same camp as Ice... If it were me I would be SURE I had the customer prepped for charges that would give me a reasonable return for my effort and time.

Problem with marine stuff is as you said... access... then there is the odd parts... Last time I played with it (on Lake Lanier N of Atlanta), I more or less rebuilt the system with residential parts... <grin>

Please don't take my response the wrong way, but I have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Power seems to be going to the compressor, but it is cold to the touch.
    How does power "seem" to be going to the compressor?

Then the thermodisk in the compressor could be open.
    Could be open? You're posting this question on a public forum, so you obviously thought of it, yet you didn't check it?

Some one changed the thermostat and maybe screwed it up.
    So you know that someone changed the stat, but you didn't check to see if it was wired correctly?

Does your company not give you the time you need to check out the units you are posting about? You are stating what you "should" be checking, yet you feel it more productive to post your thoughts. If these things were actually checked, it would help us narrow what the problem might be. I know you might get offended by this response, but I recently have run into technicians that want the answers handed to them. We all need help, but you have to do some leg work to help us, help you.

I canty seem to reply.
    [QUOTE=_knight_;15771331]Please don't take my response the wrong way, but I have some questions.
    Getting 208 volts on shore power most of the time.

How does power "seem" to be going to the compressor?
    No way to access the compressor terminals, but wires going to it have power.

Could be open? You're posting this question on a public forum, so you obviously thought of it, yet you didn't check it?
    Well if it is open there must be a reason, more on that later.

So you know that someone changed the stat, but you didn't check to see if it was wired correctly?
    Time was limited, it is a 3 wire lo volt tstat. 4 wires in J box behind it. Also # 14 wire size. Maybe line voltage, that is what I was told anyhow.
    I have been doing this for over 40 years, not boats so much, I started the company in 1972. My truck is probably older than you. I am a 1 person show and if some one has an answer to hand me I will happily take it.

Today I hooked up the annie to the compressor, It is dead as a door nail. The unit is on a dual controler and just 1 side works for another compressor, It does give intermittent voltage to the "dead" unit. So it either need a new controller, compressor, and tstat, or I can use a single control and seperate the units from the controler. This is a Lunair unit, they have been gone for many years. No diagram to go by.