Sil-Fos = amount of joints

Sil-Fos = amount of joints

Would Anyone know or have anything that would tell you what the expected amount of joints per size of pipe a pound of sil-fos can do?

I would say it depends on the man with the torch.

This is probably no help, but i was always told with solder, if its a 3/4" joint it takes, 3/4" of solder. (i use more silflos then that i can say that for sure)

It definitely depends on the person doing the brazing. You can use as little as an inch, or as much as an entire stick on the same joint, depending on your technique, the cleanliness of the joint, and the percentage of silver in the rod. I would say I tend to use more than other techs, because I try hard to get the rod to get sucked into the joint, and then I try to slowly build a cap on top of that on almost all of the joints that I do. I also don't clean most of my joints, so I try to make up for it by using extra sil-foss.

If you take the time to properly prep all of the joints, and have a good technique, you can get away with using less rod, and cheaper rod (less silver).

Quote Originally Posted by justinkarma View Post
    Would Anyone know or have anything that would tell you what the expected amount of joints per size of pipe a pound of sil-fos can do?
    Here's a guide from J.W.Harris with some info on how much material to expect per joint. (See p.13)

GuidetoBrazingandSoldering.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    This is probably no help, but i was always told with solder, if its a 3/4" joint it takes, 3/4" of solder. (i use more silflos then that i can say that for sure)
    that's what i was taught also
    If a Ram is a Sheep, And an Ass is a Donkey, Why is a Ram in the Ass a Goose?

Quote Originally Posted by justinkarma View Post
    If you're trying to figure out a way to save money, I would look elsewhere.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I agree with sac, just keep enough stocked on the truck.

Some joints are in a very bad location you have to keep heating and filling Silfos until you are satisfied, pretty much what ever it takes.......
    Betabass

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.

A pound of sil-foss is comparable to 66 7/8 welds straight out or 73 5/8 welds straight or 93 3/8 welds typical.... is 43 7/8 welds and 52 5/8 welds....
    Capping or topping uses about 15% more

Purpose of this question wasn't really to try to save money. (but who isn't?) it was really for my to make sure that I wouldn't end up screwing myself in bidding some of these bigger jobs that might take 20lb to 30lb of sil-fos. that could end up in a big cost to me. I'm sort of new at the commercial estimating and trying to prevent a problem before I have one. Thank you all with all the help with this! It's nice to see a forum community to come together so well. i have been on others for my classic car questions and its like polling teeth for help sometimes lol.