Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIs Petition Congress To End Iraq War

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2505412.shtml

(CBS) They say they are not disloyal. They say they are not shirking their duty and that they do not oppose war. But more than 1,000 active-duty and reserve members of the U.S. military are against the war in Iraq and have said so in an unusually public way by petitioning Congress last month.

Several of them appear to explain their actions to correspondent Lara Logan this Sunday, Feb. 25, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"I'm not anti-war. I'm not a pacifist. I'm not opposed to protecting our country and defending our principles," says Navy Petty Officer Jonathan Hutto, an Iraq war veteran who, along with another veteran, initiated the petition.

A 1995 law called the Military Whistleblower act enables military personnel to express their own opinions about Iraq in protected communication directly to Congress.

Hutto and others spoke with 60 Minutes while off duty, off base and out of uniform as conscientious citizens. "But at the same time, as citizens, it's our obligation to have a questioning attitude about policy," Hutto tells Logan.

Marine Sgt. Liam Madden, who helped Hutto to found the organization they call Appeal for Redress that has attracted 1,000 other military members, is more blunt.

"Just because we volunteered for the military doesn't mean we volunteered to put our lives in unnecessary harm and to carry out missions that are illogical and immoral," Madden says.

The petition reads: "As a patriotic American proud to serve the nation in uniform, I respectfully urge my political leaders in Congress to support the prompt withdrawal of all American military forces and bases from Iraq . Staying in Iraq will not work and is not worth the price. It is time for U.S. troops to come home."

These GIs and others Logan spoke with expressed frustration with their efforts in Iraq and believe there is no end to the war in sight. Other Iraqi war veterans still on duty there believe Appeal for Redress misses a larger point.

"As an American soldier, I feel like we took an oath to obey the orders of our commander-in-chief and officers appointed over us," says Army Spec. James Smauldon.

Says another serviceman in Iraq, Army Capt. Lawrence Nunn, "I know what I'm here fighting for, to give the Iraqi people some democracy and hope, so I am 100 percent behind this mission. You don't sign up to pick which war you go to."

Another Appeal for Redress member, Staff Sgt. Matt Nuckolls, says, "Our leadership gets to choose the mission. Congress gets to choose the mission."

He says he's loyally committed to whatever Congress wants him to do but savors the right to question it.

"My Congressman is Lacy Clay," Nuckolls says. "I would like to tell him as a constituent of his, 'Is the mission in Iraq really what you want us to be doing?' And then (if) he responds, 'Yes,' OK, well, we go back to Iraq and keep doing what we're doing."

In a House, on a small hill (someday I hope to get a big hill)
    "Just because we volunteered for the military doesn't mean we volunteered to put our lives in unnecessary harm and to carry out missions that are illogical and immoral," Madden says.
    That says it all right there................

Well, well,well.............looks like there is two sides to EVERY story..........of course the pukes er i mean pugs will do there best to distort this in something it is not........this should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post

Well, well,well.............looks like there is two sides to EVERY story..........of course the pukes er i mean pugs will do there best to distort this in something it is not........this should be good.

Ace...Harley...whatever....

Those boys volunteered for the military and swore an oath to defend the USA... Now these guys probably joined thinking it would be a 4 yr gravy train hitch...the guard and reserve guys probably never thought they would again be called up to anything any fighting....but they did...

The fact is that the chimp in chief (The President) has determined that going into Iraq and becoming a human IED detector is a neccesary duty for our boys...and by god they just need to buck up...hold their head high and their chest out with pride and get in those trucks and drive.....drive till they find those damn IEDS......

Thats the plan you see.... we are going to wear the enemy down one IED at a time.... these boys are necesary and expendable because in order to get the enemy to use up valuable resources such as rations, bullets and IED making materials we must give them a reason to expend these resources.....

Its not a glamourous job...IED fodder.... but it is a neccesary job..... these guys are heroes and they should damn well realize that and quit their crying....

Dang....makes you wonder how many more of these pansy asses are over there shirking their duty...hiding under their sleeping bags and ****...

I wouldnt shoot those bastards...Id hang em or toss em thru a woodchipper....shooting would be too good for them.

Bush told them they need to go to Iraq...some damn congressmans opinion doesnt matter...... these guys just want an excuse...someone to bail their sorry yellow bellied asses out..... jesus.... they make me sick.

Does anyone know what happened to that chicken outfit from South Carolina... remember a few years ago....a whole outfit refused to participate in a convoy because they lacked armor and protection....those cowards stood in their tents drinking soda and eating chips while brave men and women replacements took their places ??? Think it was 2 or 3 years ago .....It was on the news about the cowards backing out and refusing to go but we never did here about what the outcome was to the whole mess...... I bet those cowards were not even punished....probably didnt get dessert for a week.....

they should have been shot dead in the road where the trucks were lined up and then have the trucks roll right over their carcasses......

If you swear an oath to do a job...do the damn job and accept your fate...

Ya know I didn't care for that sick attempt to be humorous, I had a friend killed over there by an IED.

There is nothing humorous about that..........

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post

Well, it really doesn't say anything but the guys a pussy. So I guess that is why you two are on track. When you volunteer for military service you don't get to choose what hill you die on.
    And besides, this is CBS. Dan Rather...forged papers..LOL

Cindy Sheehan will probably be on the board before long

Story condensed

CBS found some democrats in the military.

what?

"Just because we volunteered for the military doesn't mean we volunteered to put our lives in unnecessary harm and to carry out missions that are illogical and immoral," Madden says

first let me say i'm sorry about your buddy. when you see his family please let them know that there are people out there who thank them and thier son for protecting and PROVIDING our freedom-true heroes.
    however, when you volunteer for the military,police,fire department or any other civil service, you have done just that...volunteered.
    you dont get to decide what's immoral,unnecessary,right wrong or otherwise. the fireman and police who went into the inferno that was the worldtrade center as cruel as it may seem, were doing thier jobs. heroes, every one of them.
    ask the veterans of wwII if they thought going ashore on d-day was illogical when they got picked off one by one.
    ask the pilots who bombed germany and japan on a regular basis
    undoubtedly killing civilians everyday, if it was immoral
    what is being ignored here is that this is a WAR
    until we commit to winning this war and fighting it like a war instead of doing "crowd control",we will never win or overcome.
    the people who live in that region understand one thing: commitment. they are committed to dying for a cause, but we are not committed to accommodating them. Israel is only a stones throw from every terrorist nation,yet they aren't constantly bombed,occasionally yes,but why not more if their enemies are so close?
    the answer is that israel acknowledges what it is dealing with. if they kill 5, israel kills 50. then they bulldoze the culprits home and go after his family and friends
    in any event,soldiers dont get to choose thier assignments.
    if any of them were unaware when they signed on that they may actually have to defend their country,that thought should have been put to rest after boot camp.
    we need to decide if we want to win the war and accomplish our objectives, or appease the press and the left wing wimps who want to have aconversation with the enemy while they strap bombs to themselves
    all i know is that it's been almost 6 years and no attacks here

"AN APPEASER IS SOMEONE WHO FEEDS THE CROCIDLE, WITH THE HOPE IT WILL EAT HIM LAST"..........Winston Churchill

Thumbs up fmla

Well said.............

ohhhhh so sorry roscoe.... my sincerest apologies for upsetting you...

maybe you should avoid threads dealing with the war in Iraq....

but facts is facts.... Our guys are dying driving down the road and getting their asses shredded by IEDS...... I think everyone but Bush and his administration knew that this is the way Iraq would become... Bush screwed up and didnt get rid of the enemy...before he installed a government that is going to hamstring any serious efforts at routing the insurgents from the country.

Our enemy is so entwined into the civilian population that in order to properly get at them we need to be killing a few civilians..... we should be striking and razing whole neighborhoods and villages instead of performing house to house searches or setting up roadblocks in an attempt to stop the insurgents....
    problem is the current Iraqi regime isnt going to allow that...even against the sunni.

He screwed up big time.....

He would have been better off throwing support behind al sadr and letting al sadr rid the country of the sunni insurgents...who are by the way al qaeda.... then we could deal with the shiites later...if it came to that.

anywho.... Id still string those cowards up.... anyone ever find any links to that SC outfit.... I tried earlier...let me try again

otayyyyyyy

It was the 343rd Quartermaster Company and they served out their year in Iraq without any real punishment....I think the commander was relieved and a few of them got reductions in rank...

WOW...really sent a message there..... reservists....they probably couldnt care less about being busted down...Id say none of them reupped.......

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker44 View Post
    [url]
    Exactly.

It is the responsibility of the civilian leaders (Bush, Cheney) to ensure before sending troops into harm's way that the cause is just and every effort is made to provide a realistic plan of operations and equipment necessary to allow the troops the maximum effectiveness while avoiding unnecessary risks due to poor civilian leadership and management.

In the case of Bush's vanity war, none of these conditions were met which has resulted in a deadly, bloody quagmire with our troops caught in the middle of a civil war.

The cause was not justified as almost daily the excuses proffered by the Bush administration were shown to be fabricated or false. To this day there has been no justification provided fror the optional Iraq war that stands up to close scrutiny.

Thus this bloody quagmire is not at all about the security of the United States but rather a craven political calculation made by those who have never experienced combat but yet have no qualms about sending young men to be killed and maimed all in service to pathetic political ambition and historical legacy.

I salute those courageous enough to speak their minds about this corrupt war and the leaders who have not only failed in their duties and responsibilities to our armed forces but have indeed squandered any moral credit and worldwide support the U.S. gained as a result of 9/11.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

Chapman Cohen

You have no idea of what you are talking about again Geerbot. Or military isn't set up to conduct polls or focus groups based on if they want to participate or not. It is a riot seeing you constantly in agreement with the to 5 members of the Loony Left of which you happen to be a part of. The same group here that never wore a uniform .

Hey cornball I didn't know you were Cindy Sheehans campaign manager. I was gonna hand you you're a$$ but I decided you are not worth it, you're a kook.

Quote Originally Posted by James 3528 View Post
    Story condensed

CBS found some democrats in the military.

Bad news for you then. They were Pugs when they entered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast