Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Infinity is about comfort. I wouldn't use utility curtailment if I only had one AC system and if I didn;t have enouhg reserve capacity wit hteh existing unit... unless it was zoned and I could make some zones unoccupied. That my eventual strategy, to add zoning downstairs.

I think you only good option it to try and make some corrections on the ductwork. We're only talking about trying to get 650-700 CFM through the ductwork quietly. That shouldn't be hard with a house your size. Something isn't right there. It's realyl a great system and I had to see it hampered by installation issues like this.

ricksuddes, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Infinity is about comfort. I wouldn't use utility curtailment if I only had one AC system and if I didn;t have enouhg reserve capacity wit hteh existing unit... unless it was zoned and I could make some zones unoccupied. That my eventual strategy, to add zoning downstairs.

I think you only good option it to try and make some corrections on the ductwork. We're only talking about trying to get 650-700 CFM through the ductwork quietly. That shouldn't be hard with a house your size. Something isn't right there. It's realyl a great system and I had to see it hampered by installation issues like this.
    If I have to spend upwards of $1000 (after taking into account the need to re insulate) to really solve the problem, and end up with a bunch of flex that (though it may be silly of me) I don't completely trust, I am willing to consider less elegant solutions (such as reducing air flow).

One idea the contractor came up with, but didn't pursue, was to run a bypass from the main supply to the return. The idea being to reduce reduce volume hence velocity in the main. I think he abandoned that idea because he worried this would not "play well" with the Infinity controlled air handler. He also thought of installing some kind of noise attenuating dampers (rather than the cheap ones currently installed).

BTW, I was also thinking of energy savings & fuel flexiblity when I bought the thing (in addition to heating, cooling, dust control and humidity control)

No, no no... don't use a bypass duct. The installer was correct that it would likely cose problems. There are minimum airlfow settings built in for a reason. Bypass ducts even when used properly on zone control systems are simply a work around because systems that require them cannot precisely control blower speed or the blower is a fixed speed. With a fully vairable speed blower and the logic in Infinity, a bypass can cause coil freezing in cooling mode and high pressure issues in heat mode.

Flex with R8 insualtion and isntalled correctly so it doesn't leak should have any issues. I have all flex on my upstairs unit and one piece on my downstairs. I'm actually going ot add another because my fan powered humidifier has a resonance that travels through one poorly placed duct (previous owner installed the original system).

It sounds like the flex you have may have had before may have been damaged or torn internally, or simply leaked... or lacked adequate insulation value for you humidty levels in your attic.

Quote Originally Posted by danielh View Post
    I will try, but will be shocked (and pleased) if it makes a difference!
    I'll be anxious to hear if it makes a difference. The measurements don't add up for me. You wrote that the grille was 16"x26" but the opening is only 13"x23". If, at the grille, the opening is what you said, you're only getting 600 cfm to the unit. Add to that the air cleaner (you mentioned) and the VS motor might be over revving.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I'll be anxious to hear if it makes a difference. The measurements don't add up for me. You wrote that the grille was 16"x26" but the opening is only 13"x23". If, at the grille, the opening is what you said, you're only getting 600 cfm to the unit. Add to that the air cleaner (you mentioned) and the VS motor might be over revving.
    Let me clarify. The total size of the grille is 16" x 26". The borders are 1.5".
    Hmn, when I take the grille off I will measure the actual size of the duct.

Quote Originally Posted by danielh View Post
    Let me clarify. The total size of the grille is 16" x 26". The borders are 1.5".
    Hmn, when I take the grille off I will measure the actual size of the duct.
    Normally the "borders" are about 3/4". Anyway, remove the grille and see if the noise is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Normally the "borders" are about 3/4". Anyway, remove the grille and see if the noise is reduced.
    I removed the grill and it made no difference.

Note that the size of the opening into the return duct is 13.75" x 24.75" (the border of the grill is 1.25")

Note: the noisiest ducts are ones nearest the main duct, but the other ones aren't very quiet.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 05-18-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Stevel6416, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

im wondering if a canvas connector at the unit would solve the problem. also you should be able to check the static pressure at the infinity control
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    im wondering if a canvas connector at the unit would solve the problem. also you should be able to check the static pressure at the infinity control
    Static pressure is about 0.35

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123