Reach in cooler scratchin mah head

R-22 reach in, convection coil in box ( no fans or coil ). Internally eq Txv. Was sent to do a leak repair on unit, found leak on ssv, replaced drier and charged. Txv would seem to open up every few minutes or so for 30 seconds and flood compressor, sight glass would be about half full when this happened due to increased refrigerant flow. Removed bulb and held in my palm and valve opened. Turned in txv spring and valve closed, reset to mid range, the txv seemed to be operating fine but would hunt for some unknown reason. I was told to change the txv and it did not solve this hunting, txv is mounted in compressor section, bulb and head are insulated. Any opinions on the problem of this system are welcome

I played with the bulb position once on a similar situation doing the same and it settled out. Could have been the previous tech placed it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    I played with the bulb position once on a similar situation doing the same and it settled out. Could have been the previous tech placed it wrong.
    replaced the txv and installed bulb as per instructions, now that I think about it the unit had an open upper area that was open, I guess it could have been sending higher refrigerant temps back to the main suction line and then onto bulb

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

TXV hunting in this manner is a sign of overfeeding for the load. If the valve is sized right for the application I would suggest closing it down to see if it will stabilize at an expected saturation point for the evaporator and gas in question.