Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm Changed Locked up Compressor and now this...

Had a little 1/4 HP, R-22 compressor. It was the Copeland A-series. Changed the drier and evacuated and the whole nine yards. Cranked up unit and it was very hot in box, hot enough you could not lay your hand on the bottom. Pressures started out high which was expected. Then as unit started cooling down pressures stayed pretty much close to the same.

The compressor would get hot enough you could fry eggs on. Amp draw is righ dead on the money. Checking the superheat the best I can get is 50 degrees at the compressor. Opened the valve and nothing changes. Compressor kicking out on internal.

Unit will refrigerate though. Just wondering if the screen might have to be cleaned.

If I left anything out lemme know. Yall have fun now

I gotta make my ways around the town putting out old flames now
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate........

fireman,you talken about a TXV screen or does it have a captube,did ya weigh the charge,correct refrig?cooler or freezer?condensor clean?what kinda oil does the system have,mineral?cond fan operation as it should?How long did ya watch it,its normal to have high superheat until box gets cooler,cap tubes pressure doesnt change as much as that as a txv valve,any icing coming back to compressor,correct metering devise and correct frezone is a must,did ya get any sorder in the lines that may cause a restriction,ive done this before and had three 2 hour trips out of the deal.Hard knocks,gota love em.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

you said amps are right on, where did you get amp rating
    (RLA is not running amps, if that's what you got, you are
    probably running high amps)

Question

I assume you try to open the TXV to reduce the superheat. Is there a sight glass in the liquid line so you can determine if you have enough refrigerant in the system? Did the compressor continue to trip the overload after the box temp came down? Can you rinse the condenser out with water to help cool it during the intial drawdown?

We need some data to help you more. I have a feeling something is bad out of whack; clogged TXV, dirty coil, compressor too big for the cond unit it's on, etc.

You do have a receiver...don't you?

if your amps are right on the money, you are probably in trouble. the rla stamped on the compressor is the rated load, the max amps you could run safely when unit is running at DESIGN CONDITIONS, probably 95 deg ambient, 120- 130 condensing temperature. you should expect to be running well below rated load once your box pulled down. provide some more info, what was the ambient? do you have a receiver? are there flood valves or fan cycling?, etc...

you checked the supperheat, but what is the subcooling?
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

What is the metering device? You got 50 degrees superheat. So the next step is, to determine if she is doing any work. I susect not, Measure your delta across condenser. Measure your discharge temp 6 inches away from comp on discharge line. Delta T across evap. What is your SST, on both evap and condenser.

The previous pump locked rotor cause you cooked the oil, lost lubrication.

Don't freak out cause you got the new pump in and now it's displaying issues. You had to get the new pump in to figure this out. Always expect this. Something kills the compressor. They don't normally die on their own. Your not diagnosing the real problem. The pump DOA was just a symptom.

1/4 hp probably cap tube. Your nightmares are just beginning.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Quote Originally Posted by cg2 View Post
    1/4 hp probably cap tube. Your nightmares are just beginning.
    Your right on. This unit should have a cap tube and you had better change it out with the correct size and length before running that unit any more.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

just because it is a 1/4 does not mean cap tube. why don't we wait to know what the metering device is. There are as many TXV systems with 1/4 pumps as there are caps. Depends on many factors, and manufacturers.

By the looks of the thread that was posted i wonder if he dialed in the correct amount of refrig.,sounds like a stopped up metering devise of some sort with a overcharge.When the correct amount is in the system i would think you'd have low suction,just seems thats what ive run into before.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Ding ding ding ding expansion valve it is....

I had forgotten I posted this up here and then started reading and said now that sounds familiar.......oh well live, learn, die and forget everything
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast