oil level after changeout question

I have a single stage 10 ton AC CU with two five ton AHU about 4 feet below CU. Compressor failed ( will not pump)

Copeland replacement compressors have an oil sight glass and a shrader valve to drain oil on them.

Do I need to blow oil out of evaps or can I rely on new compressor to return surplus oil to compressor. Then I can adjust correct oil level with compressor sight glass?

Was it floodback that killed the old compressor? I'm assuming it was, however if it was not mechanical then you'll want to test for acid. I would flush the system with rx-11 then purge with nitro and change the driers. Keep an eye on the oil level for the next few days, and replace the drier again .

I would also try to figure out what killed it the first time. Low superheat, washout, air flow issues, bad oil return.

oil was good.
    AF is good, but any other issue wont be known until we gett it running again.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    oil was good.
    AF is good, but any other issue wont be known until we gett it running again.
    If there's nothing obvious then it's time to fire it up and find out....

Does this have a pumpdown solenoid?

With a load on the unit, the new compressor will bring back oil in the evap. So, adjust as needed once it has run awhile. Ensure the CCH is working. If the unit is setup with pumpdown on it, cycling it to pumpdown and restart several times will also move the oil back if any is in the evap. If overcharged with oil, it will slug oil on occasion. Keep an eye on the oil level off and on for a few weeks. The lower evaps may be logging oil, especially if the suction line is oversized.