Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused R-22 Chiller retrofit

Does anyone know an approved Refrigerant for R-22 Chillers? More specific those with flooded evaps. All the ones i have seen have too much glide Honeywell says Ill get back to ya ? yikes Guess we wernt ready for this after all

Their are a lot of threads on retrifit refrigerants but manufactures don't back them unless its nordine shipped with poly oil. As for chillers why don't you just stick with r-22?
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Yes you are going to be hard pressed to find an alternative for flooded applications I just don't see it happening .

R438A

Why convert? Well, with the rising cost of R-22, and this being about half the price of 22, the competition is retrofitting and winning bids. So, that's one reason.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've read where R404A and R507 have been used for flooded systems. Performance-wise, they're both fairly close to R22.

R404A has a very low glide and R507 has a zero glide, being a 50/50 blend of R125 and R143a.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_ballard View Post
    Why convert? Well, with the rising cost of R-22, and this being about half the price of 22, the competition is retrofitting and winning bids. So, that's one reason.
    Any links relating to chillers with flooded evaporators?

[QUOTE=icemeister;15754611]I've read where R404A and R507 have been used for flooded systems.
    QUOTE]

Any links?

I hae not used it but it looks like R421A glide is better than MO99

[QUOTE=Nuclrchiller;15754661]
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I've read where R404A and R507 have been used for flooded systems.
    QUOTE]

Any links?
    No links handy at the moment, but a while back I Googled "R404A R507 flooded systems" and got some interesting hits. It seems the low temp guys are already on top of this for replacing R22. I know R404A & R507 will work well at higher temps, but I'd want to get some guidance from DuPont or Genetron before doing anything on a major scale.

[QUOTE=icemeister;15754941]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post

No links handy at the moment, but a while back I Googled "R404A R507 flooded systems" and got some interesting hits. It seems the low temp guys are already on top of this for replacing R22. I know R404A & R507 will work well at higher temps, but I'd want to get some guidance from DuPont or Genetron before doing anything on a major scale.
    Thanks icemeister.

[QUOTE=Nuclrchiller;15755311]
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

Thanks icemeister.
    Another possibility is to go to R134A if you can stand the 30%+ capacity loss. The small upside to that however is you would gain a bunch of efficiency with the oversized evaporator and condenser.

Well Guys as I said got the "We'll get Back to you if we come up with something" From Honeywell so it doesnt look good i have two chillers right now in need one is an RTAA Screw that we did switch over to R-422D and Had to tweek some settings to deal with the glide but also may have caused some problems with slide valve so jury is out. Dont think we can afford any major capicity loss so I may have to bite the Bullet and go back with R-22

Quote Originally Posted by mark_ballard View Post
    If it works for the competition do what they do.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast