Confused Who manufactures Tempstar? parts?

Can someone tell me about Tempstar? Who manufactures their parts? Their history, ect..? Which units are preferred?
    Thanks.

ICP aka: International Comfort Products
    Another division of United Technologies, Carrier's Parent.
    They build and market Comfortmaker,Heil,Tempstar,Arcoair, maybe some others.
    They build some of their product in TN. Lavernge, Lavern? (sp)
    "Democracy--Two wolves and a sheep voting on what the menu is for lunch.
    Liberty--Is a well armed sheep who will probably contest the vote." author unknown--but I like him already

Some Tempstar high efficiency furnace are manufactured at the Carrier plant in Indiana. Sears Kenmore uses Tempstar products and puts Kenmore name instead of Tempstar, Sears been selling for years like this. I have sold and installed Tempstar for 8 years and am impressed with product, very few breakdowns and not many warranty claims.

Now that the Smart Valve is gone, they are decent, simple furnace. They admit that warranty claims have dropped dramatically. The furnaces are made here. I was in the plant a few weeks ago. Impressive place. Different line from the Bryant & Carrier stuff. Not sure if the Lavergne plant is still open, I think they build outdoor units in Carrier's Collierville TN plant too. Light commercial is Carrier stuff rebadged.

Avoid the builder outdoor units, the old Carrier cubes. CHEAP!!! The premium A/C and heat pump units are impressive and will stand up to anyone's high end stuff.

The Junk Valve is gone now you say??? Nice. Other than the fact that it's easy money replacing those I friggin' hate them. I hope every manufacturer drops them entirely and in 20 years when I see one (as if one would actually last that long ) I can think, "Gee, what an antiquated piece of junk gas valve. Remember when they thought those were a good idea?"
    Last edited by 4l530; 02-24-2007 at 09:01 PM.

4l, you remember last week's snowstorm? Wed AM with drifts 2' tall, I took an installer down to a T* rooftop unit we put up a while back. No heat. We walked the length of the nearly abandoned strip since the back wasn't plowed. Took the cover off and told him the unit would fire in 30 seconds. Wiggled the molex plug on the Dumb Valve and sure enough, fire. He was so impressed. Then we changed it out! Record time too!

BaldLoonie

Sure do remember that snowstorm, it was off the hook! That's what it did to the phone in our office at least,
    That installer liked the little molex plug trick, eh? Some of the customers just love it. I'll bet you guys did change it in record time, standing in snow up to yer keester.
    We installed Tempstar for a long time as our second line, I think the Junk Valve thing is what did them in with us. Glad to hear it has gone bye bye. I always liked the ICP furnaces otherwise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 4l530 View Post
    The Junk Valve is gone now you say??? Nice. Other than the fact that it's easy money replacing those I friggin' hate them. I hope every manufacturer drops them entirely and in 20 years when I see one (as if one would actually last that long ) I can think, "Gee, what an antiquated piece of junk gas valve. Remember when they thought those were a good idea?"
    Junk valve....

We call them Dumb valves.

The inducer motors suck too. I believe the NUGK models...
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Heil-Quaker was part of Whirlpool till ~1988
    sold to InterCity Products,
    which became ICP
    which bought Keeprite & Snyder-General
    which was bought by Carrier Div of United Technologies ~1996

ICP never made product in LaVergne, TN -- warehouse was there.
    products were made in Lewisburg, TN [where I worked just shy of 10y]
    in Canada = 2 towns
    in Johnson City TN which was closed ~1991
    Lewisburg was closed about 2y after Carrier bought.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Tempstar

I need to get the top cover for a Tempstar Smart Comfort 2200. A tree felt on top of it, the AC works perfect but I need to replace the cover. Can someone please help me
    Last edited by gmcqueeny; 08-16-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling