Refrigeration guys: construction or service?

I'm wondering if you guys prefer one or the other, and if you do one exclusively (are on a construction crew only, for instance) or if you do service only. Or both? Just curious.

I do both. About 80% of the time I am running commercial service calls. The other part of the time I am on a new construction job site in my hard hat and safety glasses installing controls, thermostats, sensors, and doing the control wiring, and starting up new equipment. I personally enjoy the variety.

Construction work, in general, is too subject to the ups and downs of the economy.

There will ALWAYS be something for me to FIX. If the economy is slow, there might be nothing to BUILD.

Make your decision accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    I do both. About 80% of the time I am running commercial service calls. The other part of the time I am on a new construction job site in my hard hat and safety glasses installing controls, thermostats, sensors, and doing the control wiring, and starting up new equipment. I personally enjoy the variety.
    Agreed.
    Find a company that does both, train yourself in both, and you'll never be out of work.
    The best service techs know how things should be installed, and the best installers know how to service.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Make your decision accordingly.
    Where will I be in 2016, skill wise, if I had done 3 years of service work vs. 3 years of construction work? Reason I ask is that I have this weird feeling that it'll be tough for me to be an effective service guy without extensive construction experience...

Thanks for advice everyone, just received job offer and got texts from guys I know that work for the company I got hired with asking what crew I'll be on, I don't even know, nobody's told me anything other than I start on the 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Servicerunner View Post

Where will I be in 2016, skill wise, if I had done 3 years of service work vs. 3 years of construction work? Reason I ask is that I have this weird feeling that it'll be tough for me to be an effective service guy without extensive construction experience...

Thanks for advice everyone, just received job offer and got texts from guys I know that work for the company I got hired with asking what crew I'll be on, I don't even know, nobody's told me anything other than I start on the 27th.
    I have never worked on a construction crew

Don't see how it has affected me as a service guy.

The way I have always looked at it is Installs build your ability to learn and keep up with technology
    Since installs are always of new equipment you can learn its workings and apply it to your service.....

Having put in thousands of hours on both, I know each has helped me understand the other better therefore making me a stronger tech than if I hadn't. From knowing typical installation mistakes and problems I am able to better service and troubleshoot.
    Alternatively, knowing how a service tech thinks affects how I perform installs. Ease of service, proper pipe design, and pipe clamping are just a few things that come to mind immediately.
    Obviously the more experience the better you will be.

I enjoy service the most as it is always new challenges and requires me to think. Construction for some people can get old however for others it is less stressful than dealing with customers on a daily basis.

I agree that a well rounded tech is the most employable. That is why I can walk into any supermarket, stripmall, home, hospital or office building and perform hvac/r service in this trade without relying on a single type of work to keep a revenue stream flowing into my bank.

I have always believed part of the training of every new tech should be at least one year on a change out crew. Best way to see, touch, and begin to understand the entire system.

Yep installs will help your torch skills.. Nothing like runing hundreds or thousands of feet of pipe.

But service is much much easier on your body..