Thread: tattle tales

tattle tales

Can someone explain why they dont work when there is a lockout circuit (lockout relay) ,or when safties go to an electronic board.............having a hard time getting my mind around it-----------------thanxx

load

The most common reason tattles don't work is the amperage that the control circuit pulls isn't great enough to trip the tattle.

In other words, your control circuit may only pull .8 amps, this isn't enough to set a tattle off, so it just bypasses the safety.

The other reason can be that they are wired in wrong, but the amperage rule will still apply.

Tattles work great in a line voltage application.

What you need to do is buy some in line fuse holders & then buy some very small fuses, like 1/10 amp or smaller if you can find them.
    Be careful not to let the box bounce around in your van as they will often open.

Wire them in paralell with the saftey or in other words use the fuse holder to bypass the suspect control, when the control opens the load of the control circuit will be on tha little bitty fuse which should open because the amperage of the control circuit is too much for the fuse to handle.

The only time the fuse may not work is if you have a intermittent control that only opens for a nano second, that may not be enough time for the fuse to blow.
    In that case you remove your fuses one by one over the course of a few days & when the problem comes back its usually safe to conclude that the last one you removed is the failed control.

Hope this helps you out, good luck!!
    All my leon freaked out!

like chiller mek said. i use 1/100 amp fuses...guaranteed to blow! but be careful...the last box of 5 that i bought cost $11 each fuse...still cheaper than me standing there.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

1/100 amp fuses

yes,
    both Johnny bravo and johnny bonham are correct.
    I think most lock-out relays are 350 ohm. too much resistance to allow much current.
    just pick up a bunch of in line fuse holders and a bunch of 1/100 amp little glass fuses and waaaaa-llaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!
    then you can re-use the holders.
    Frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

thanx all.

Smile

Use the smaller fuses as the other techs suggested.
    "My hands are for sale"

if there is a central engineering near you, they sell an electronic tattle tail that can be used over and over. it has alittle light that goes off when it trips and a reset button on it.

$11.00 a fuse isn't any worse than buying tattletails and 1/100 amp fuses can be used on all voltages.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by filterbuoy View Post
    Can someone explain why they dont work when there is a lockout circuit (lockout relay) ,or when safties go to an electronic board.............having a hard time getting my mind around it-----------------thanxx
    you need to wire in a off delay relay in the reset circuit... then it will work every time, and try the electronic type there great,, you can use them over and over again...!!!!

Reset Relay

Is there more than high pressure, low pressure control, in reset portion of circuit
    or are you talking package unit small lockout board with current sensing. It would seem manufactures on these would start using the inexpensive manual resets for protection and do away with the reset which is cheap and time consuming.

Fat chance

Quote Originally Posted by allank View Post
    Is there more than high pressure, low pressure control, in reset portion of circuit
    or are you talking package unit small lockout board with current sensing. It would seem manufactures on these would start using the inexpensive manual resets for protection and do away with the reset which is cheap and time consuming.
    Before they do somthing crazy like that they will probably come up with another circuit board that has lights & it will cost a few hundred dollars & will be tied into the control circuit in such a way it would undesireable to bypass.
    All my leon freaked out!

The lock out relay senses the fault and opens the circuit faster than the reaction time of the tattle tale. Once the circuit is open the tester is useless. You may want to temporarily bypass the lock out in order to utilize the tattle tale. On some systems a time delay relay may be temporarily used in place of the lock out relay to protect the system from short cycling.

The electronic version of the tattle tale is called a 007 Control Checker, made by Wagner. It is reusable and can be used on 24, 120 and 240 volts. It's a great tool. Although it has a much faster reaction time, it still won't detect a safety switch opening faster than the lock out occurring.