Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MY VANS A WRECK

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post
    I never use the customer's garbage, personally. And do not allow any of my employees do it. But, that is why I keep 40gal heavy duty garbage bags in the truck. Toss them in the garbage bag before tossing it in the truck, then throw out the bags when you get to a dumpster. That way you don't make a mess in your van/truck, and don't leave garbage at a customer's house. Not knocking what you do, if it works for you then knock yourself out. This is just my rule in my company.
    I was actually talking about commercial pm's its kind of hard to stuff 100 2" filters in a trash bag. I always ask supervisors if it is OK to use the dumpster. I've never had anyone have a problem with it. Most factories and such have plenty of dumpsters around the plant. I agree with your statement about residential houses. Its just common courtesy to remove your trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe RBVBD View Post

I never use the customer's garbage, personally. And do not allow any of my employees do it. But, that is why I keep 40gal heavy duty garbage bags in the truck. Toss them in the garbage bag before tossing it in the truck, then throw out the bags when you get to a dumpster. That way you don't make a mess in your van/truck, and don't leave garbage at a customer's house. Not knocking what you do, if it works for you then knock yourself out. This is just my rule in my company.
    Customer owns the equipment, customer owns the garbage.

I also do predominantly commercial, so dumpsters or other large trash receptacles are available.

A couple of words come to mind: Habit and Choice...
    A clean van is a habit/choice; and a dirty van is a habit/choice.

Personally, I like things organized... it is my nature to be that way. Yeah, things get thrown in at the end of the day... however the tools and excess supplies go back in their place.
    Every week it is time for a cleaning (both inside and out). Wash and minor detail the outside, clean the cab area (trash goes out daily), and clean out the back.
    Along the way a few things have evolved: There are summer and winter tools and parts... they are carried in season.
    There are tools and parts I use regularly; and then tools and parts I use enough to carry; and then a few tools and several parts I do not use enough to carry at all.
    The stuff that stays in the van, is organized so the most used items are within arm's reach of the doors (except the torch and vacuum/recover pumps, they just fit in a different place).
    This organization did not happen over-nite or a weekend... rather an on-going process.
    Every Fall and Spring when I change seasonal tools and parts... I give some thought to re-organization; things I no longer use and can leave at the shop, things I need to carry year round, things I need to move closer or farther from the door, etc.

Make the van a tool FOR your efficiency, not a hinderance to your progress.

The note above about someone spending 15 min 4 times a day looking for something... well that is just wasted efficiency. That is one call a day... which could easily be $1000/week gross sales.
    Is the sloppy lifestyle of a pig-pen van worth $1000/week? Not to me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I am in the process of setting up my safari van right now for service. I scored a centre console, divider with plexi glass window, 3 drawer cabinet , small shelve with lots of little sliding drawers and a big shelve for the other side. Don't forget to install some heavy duty locks to keep it all safe. I need to get some brackets made with ratchet straps for nitro bottle and also need a bottle rack for jugs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Do you carry all 6 all the time? I think I would just carry one at a time to conserve space.
    I carry five dsra and two analogs and one recovery analog set.

The second AK stays behind. That was strictly a Joy purchase.

If I have an install it gets kinda crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I carry five dsra and two analogs and one recovery analog set.

The second AK stays behind. That was strictly a Joy purchase.

If I have an install it gets kinda crowded.
    I bet it does. Not busting your balls but why do you carry so many?

Ah, yes, commercial is a different story. I've been in residential for the last few years so I was thinking resi. I don't see an issue with using a dumpster on a commercial job as long as we're not filling it up to the point it is obnoxious to the usual users.

I agree that customers own the garbage with the caveat that it depends on whether we billed them to remove the garbage or not. Our commercial customers typically pay us a small fee for trash removal.

I bet it does. Not busting your balls but why do you carry so many?
    Different refers., diffe jobs. Some jobs get a printed report (hence the 570 kit with accessories) some need the wireless capabilities of the SMAN 4.

thanks, gotta ? though when your hustlin call to call by the end of the day its gonna b kinda a mess do you organize on your dime or companys dime?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr toon View Post
    thanks, gotta ? though when your hustlin call to call by the end of the day its gonna b kinda a mess do you organize on your dime or companys dime?
    Well, it ain't MY van...

If I've left it go and it has gotten bad, I'll take a few hours on a Saturday and hog it out. Sometimes, through a stretch of bad weather, mine will get messier and I'll take my own time to do it.

Otherwise, I'm paid to complete a job and keeping a clean, organized work area is part of that job.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    Take everything out and start over. Clean it up and make it something you are proud of. Once you do get it straight, dont fall back into bad habits of just putting something wherever, When finished with a job everything goes back where it belongs, make it a habit. Clean the inside daily (I do it every morning before work), and wash the outside weekly. Once you get it to where it is something you are proud of, maintaining it becomes a joy rather than a chore.
    This is what I will be doing next Sat. my van goes in the body shop the following Monday. This seems like a good time to start over. I just don't look forward to being in a rental for a week.
    Certified,qualified and can do it cause were used to it.

Like Jp said, discipline. I'm guilty of being worn out and pitchin everything in at the end of the day too.
    Yeah, seems like a luxury to have time to clean a van up every day. If I had time for that, it would prolly be because I didnt have any work. Spring and Fall is about the only time I have for straightening.

I'm with Kobe, we never use the customer's dumpsters. Not that anyone would mind, but at our company we find public places to dump old and used materials.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast