Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MY VANS A WRECK

Confused MY VANS A WRECK

any one else have this problem you can organize the crap outta your van but by the end of the day its a trainwreck sometimes im afraid to open the doors on the dang thing, had a recovery tank bout jump out and break my foot.... any suggestions on getting a service van organized and keeping it that way???

One word.

Discipline.

First, build an organization system. This isn't accomplished in an afternoon, but rather over time as you drive the van and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Once you've got an organization system built, you have to maintain it. Don't just pitch your tools in at the end of the day. PUT them away. Take the time to dispose of materials in a timely manner.

Bungee cords and ratchet straps help to hold cylinders, torches and tool boxes in place.

Like Jp said, discipline. I'm guilty of being worn out and pitchin everything in at the end of the day too.

You need to set it up so you have a place for everything. That way it gets put back in its place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr toon View Post
    any one else have this problem you can organize the crap outta your van but by the end of the day its a trainwreck sometimes im afraid to open the doors on the dang thing, had a recovery tank bout jump out and break my foot.... any suggestions on getting a service van organized and keeping it that way???
    Here's a thing I did that I've found to have worked very well.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368369304.372017.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  55.3 KB 3 Stanley toolboxes (pulled one out so you can see)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368369348.048544.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  48.7 KB tools go in pouches with tags saying what's in them.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368369412.262959.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  36.6 KB then each box is labeled what's in it.

Like jp said though, the job you're on isn't done until everything is back in its place.

Take everything out and start over. Clean it up and make it something you are proud of. Once you do get it straight, dont fall back into bad habits of just putting something wherever, When finished with a job everything goes back where it belongs, make it a habit. Clean the inside daily (I do it every morning before work), and wash the outside weekly. Once you get it to where it is something you are proud of, maintaining it becomes a joy rather than a chore.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

I gotta get a friggin' camera. I need to show you guys the worst case scenario of a van packed to the ceiling with every conceivable instrument in the hvac biz.

With my second AK purchase I am at six dsra.

Boss has a policy of double redundancy on micron gauges, manometers, digital temp testers, psychrometers ect.

I unload it all to the basement every night and reload for a job. Than there is the heating instruments. Couldn't go double on CAs. Cost is prohibative.

Do you carry all 6 all the time? I think I would just carry one at a time to conserve space.

Take all restock parts and put them on the front seat and the dash lol, I'm guilty of that.

Speed bumps and quick left turns..that's what I've used for years in organizing my van............it's self organizing and I can find everything.........clean it up and I can't find a thing..........
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

My van is always spotless. It was brand new with only shelves in it when I got it. I stocked it the way I wanted it and I am anal about removing trash and old parts everyday. I also restock every day. If I am doing pm work I throw the old filters in the customers dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    One word.

Discipline.

First, build an organization system. This isn't accomplished in an afternoon, but rather over time as you drive the van and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Once you've got an organization system built, you have to maintain it. Don't just pitch your tools in at the end of the day. PUT them away. Take the time to dispose of materials in a timely manner.

Bungee cords and ratchet straps help to hold cylinders, torches and tool boxes in place.
    This.

I have a pickup truck not a van (as I started out as a commercial / hospital installer before moving to service) and it's all about discipline. The truck is part of the job. I keep the jobsite clean, and my truck is part of the jobsite. Keeping it clean and organized every day looks impressive to customers and bosses. I do not leave a job until the jobsite is fully cleaned up, and that includes my truck.

I make a point to break any bad habit new apprentices have when they come to work with me. They do not get to learn a single thing until they have memorized where everything goes in my truck and keep it there. If they fall back on a bad habit, the teaching ends and the **** list begins until they fix it. Does a good job weeding out people who don't have what it takes. I've known too many people who spend 15 minutes looking for something in their truck. That happens 2 to 4 times a day and you've got a hour just thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    My van is always spotless. It was brand new with only shelves in it when I got it. I stocked it the way I wanted it and I am anal about removing trash and old parts everyday. I also restock every day. If I am doing pm work I throw the old filters in the customers dumpster.
    I never use the customer's garbage, personally. And do not allow any of my employees do it. But, that is why I keep 40gal heavy duty garbage bags in the truck. Toss them in the garbage bag before tossing it in the truck, then throw out the bags when you get to a dumpster. That way you don't make a mess in your van/truck, and don't leave garbage at a customer's house. Not knocking what you do, if it works for you then knock yourself out. This is just my rule in my company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast