Thread: hey teddybear,

Post Likes

hey teddybear,

great interview with matt risinger, very interesting and informative. it actually put a speed bump in my path. I am building an air tight, super insulated (eps) home with infloor radiant heating. I was planning on just an hrv but now am not sure it is the way to go. I never considered it would be bringing the humidity in too. now head is spinning. what do you suggest? thanks.

2. Likes Gizmodaddio liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    great interview with matt risinger, very interesting and informative. it actually put a speed bump in my path. I am building an air tight, super insulated (eps) home with infloor radiant heating. I was planning on just an hrv but now am not sure it is the way to go. I never considered it would be bringing the humidity in too. now head is spinning. what do you suggest? thanks.
    You will need a small whole house dehumidifier with or without the HRV. This is because of the moisture in the outside air during the 3 damp seasons of the year. The exhaust devices in your home also need make up air when they operate.
    During the extreme cold months of the year, you will find that the natural ventilation will meet much of the time. Which means that savings from the HRV will be minimum.
    I suggest starting with a whole house ventilating dehumidifier. After a winter of monitoring the amount of moisture in your home, you can decide an adding the HRV. I have monitored homes with HRVs. Based on real amounts of fresh air needed, the mechanical fresh air ventilation was need less than 16% of the winter season. Using the HRV saved less than $75 in heat per year. There is very little payback.
    If you have large winter moisture loads in the home, the payback is greater. Are you heating with wood or what?
    In a <2,500 sq.ft. home, a small whole dehumidifier like the Ultra-Aire 70H.
    Looking forward to further discussion. Glad to see the need for fresh air ventilation in tight home.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

4. Likes Gizmodaddio liked this post
    Post Likes
    the house is 2500 total sqft with 1800 sqft of radiant including the finished basement which is a superior walls system. we wanted to stay practical rather than wasteful. chalet style with a loft. the kitchen and sitting area is wide open with cathedral ceiling. the peak being 27-29 feet. my heat load was under 30k btu (can't remember now). i am also having a brain battle about a/c. we only use it for a week or so every year so i didn't plan any real ductwork but am now wondering if i should build a couple chases for it. does your whole house dehumidifier need an air handler? if so what would be best for fresh air? i am hoping to have the envelope complete next week so i can do a blower door test to get better info. i added a couple pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    The Ultra-Aire 70H does not need an air handler. It has enough fan power to circulate air throughout. I suggest a small duct system to circulate dry fresh air throughout the home when needed. The master bedroom, open part of the home and basement need supplies from the dehu with a return from the basement and open part of the home. Also a 6" fresh air return from outside to the dehu. Dampers are needed to focus on the basement when the windows are open on the mainfloor. The basement should never be open when the outdoor dew point is +50^F. Fresh air ventilation is needed when the home is occupied and the windows are closed. Suggest a DEH 3000 controller for the dehu to bring in fresh filtered air when needed.
    You may decide on a none duct mini split a/c in the open part of the home.
    Where in NY is the home located?
    Where did you see the interview with Risinger?

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    The Ultra-Aire 70H does not need an air handler. It has enough fan power to circulate air throughout. I suggest a small duct system to circulate dry fresh air throughout the home when needed. The master bedroom, open part of the home and basement need supplies from the dehu with a return from the basement and open part of the home. Also a 6" fresh air return from outside to the dehu. Dampers are needed to focus on the basement when the windows are open on the mainfloor. The basement should never be open when the outdoor dew point is +50^F. Fresh air ventilation is needed when the home is occupied and the windows are closed. Suggest a DEH 3000 controller for the dehu to bring in fresh filtered air when needed.
    You may decide on a none duct mini split a/c in the open part of the home.
    Where in NY is the home located?
    Where did you see the interview with Risinger?

Regards Teddy Bear
    I saw the interview on youtube. I try to follow him pretty close as he always has great guests/ interviews and really seems enthusiastic about the industry. I am in Pulaski ny, in between Syracuse and watertown and today is another scorcher. we had to call it an early day.
    I have been thinking about a ductless split but I don't have much experience and haven't had a lot of time to research them yet. i need to do another load calc because i focused more on the heating side rather than cooling. honestly i was wondering if a/c would even be needed with good, controlled dehumidification. at least for the few times we even use it. i will probably install a ductless split any how. thanks for your help. i really appreciate it. where can i purchase the equipment? do i need to order through a supply house or can i get it off the site?

Post Likes
    A electrical contractor or a HVAC contractor can purchase these units direct from the factory, HVAC wholesaler, or from the internet.
    Appreciate the support.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    A electrical contractor or a HVAC contractor can purchase these units direct from the factory, HVAC wholesaler, or from the internet.
    Appreciate the support.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    great, thanks very much. i will look on the ultra air site for dealers.

Post Likes
    sorry, i missed this question, i will be using a lochinvar wall hung modcon boiler running on lp. domestic will be an indirect tank.