New guy from Norway!

Hi everyone! My name is Eidsgaard, and i'm from Norway. I'm a trainee in the field of HVAC-R and have been so for the past 7 months. I still have 3 years to go on my education to be a licenced technician, so i read and try/fail with old equipment that i gain access to in my line of work almost every day. Like the category said: "new guy, introduce yourself!".
    For lack of something better to say: Hello!

welcome! tell us about your licensing process. in the us, licensing is state by state for hvac except for the federal certification for refrigerant handling, and even then, you don't have to prove technical proficiency.

Oh, where should i begin?!
    Okay, first off: the education is national.That means it is the same to everybody. Usally the education is 2 years in school (first year electrician studies and second year HVAC-R studies) and then another 2 years as a trainee in company. Myself, i have a basic schooling as a musician, so i have to do 3.5 years as a trainee in a company, whilst doing 1 day a week for 2 years in school. I'm 23 years old, and being dragged back to the school alongside kids 17 years of age is a drag.
    After having done the years in school and as a trainee, you have to do a practical exam that goes over 5-7 days. You can have your exam in a test facility or on several jobs in the company you are a trainee with. If you pass, you are a licenced technician, but you are not allowed to handle refrigerants (even if you have handled them for 2 or 3 years whilst being a trainee). For that, you have to have another exam which is called (in badly translated and in a lack of a better name) the "F-gas exam". If you pass this one, you are a fully licenced HVAC-R technician

Does it seem strict to you guys?

sounds tough, but in the long run, worth the effort. check out posts from talented, eager techs who end up short on information and training. and check out wall of shame vs wall of pride to see the difference good basics and continuous training can make...

Welcome to the forum!

My way, that being the 3.5 years as a trainee, has taught me so much in 7 months. I had an intensive 3 month course in the beginning, was given a company car and some customer assignments. I will call my tutor whenever i can't figure aomething out, but mostly i'm making my own experiences and figuring out things on my own (by reading and being curious), which is uncommon in my country. Usually you are supposed to stay with your tutor for the first 1.5 year, then drive alone the last 0.5 year i am grateful of the opportunity i have been given to drive alone almost from the beginning, because i work much better that way

As for the wall of shame and wall of pride: i have my own! You see, to support myself as a trainee (we barely get paid minimum wage) i have a company on the side as a photographer and a theatrical technician. I have photographed over 100 bad installations in the past 5 months, and are making a exibit of them. Not as mainstreem, i know, but people in Norway need to know what a bad installation look like i guess

And thanks for the welcoming, I really appreciate it! i hope people don't mind me asking questions after some time in here