Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

field piece not reading temp accurately

i have a fieldpiece hs36 and it is my lifeblood lol by far most important tool on my van, my temp probe is way off and not having digital gauges i rely on this for sc/sh readings ive tried two diff temp probes and a refco type K pipe clamp and they all are way off so it is the meter itself,
    has any one else had this prob and is there anything i can do about it , ive lost the owners manual.

Here is a copy of the manual. It tells you how to re-calibrate it.

http://fieldpiece.com/PDF/Manuals/Opman-HS35-36-web.pdf

Fluke meters for example (not all but the less expensive models) need to be the same temperature as the substance being measured to get the rated accuracy. For that reason I will not use a meter designed for taking electrical measurements to measure something as important as superheat and subcooling.

I have seen 10* difference taking SC because the meter came out of the cold work van..
    IF that is you problem buy a cooper s66a and make your life easier.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Most electrical testing meters, that also have a temperature function, either don't have very good cold junction temperature compensation, or don't have any at all.
    They also usually lack filtering against interference from stray voltage signals.
    This is true even for very expensive meters.

I'd highly recommend a dedicated temperature measuring instrument.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I just ordered this yesterday, fieldpiece +ST4 Dual-Temperature Meter does anyone have any experience with this model? Good, or Bad?

I use the FPST4 for SH and SC. Get the larger clamp, or insulate the smaller one when you use it.....just calibrate it every few months, and good to go.

I use my 5c56 to check OA, or duct supply/return temps. but i know it's right as i calibrate it every few months too.

Any Ktype needs to be checked/calibrated periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    I just ordered this yesterday, fieldpiece +ST4 Dual-Temperature Meter does anyone have any experience with this model? Good, or Bad?
    The ST4 is my dedicated thermometer. Very reliable, tested with ice water regularly and I've only had to calibrate at the beginning of the season and then only slightly. But I bring my core tools including meters inside every evening and I think that helps. Very rugged, bought an extra pipe clamp but never had to break it open. But I do tear up the wire thermopropes. The ST4 is an approved meter with our local power company and their energy auditing company.

thanks what is the cooper s66a and what will that run me $ wise

Quote Originally Posted by Mr toon View Post
    thanks what is the cooper s66a and what will that run me $ wise
    It's a very nice thermometer/psychrometer. A lot of people call it blue, red, or black box. I've gad my blue box for almost 10 years and still working good. I've had to replace the wet bulb probe once and also replaced the 9v battery connector. It runs a little under $300. The probe cost me a around $100 if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I use the FPST4 for SH and SC. Get the larger clamp, or insulate the smaller one when you use it.....just calibrate it every few months, and good to go.

I use my 5c56 to check OA, or duct supply/return temps. but i know it's right as i calibrate it every few months too.

Any Ktype needs to be checked/calibrated periodically.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr toon View Post
    i have a fieldpiece hs36 and it is my lifeblood lol by far most important tool on my van, my temp probe is way off and not having digital gauges i rely on this for sc/sh readings ive tried two diff temp probes and a refco type K pipe clamp and they all are way off so it is the meter itself,
    has any one else had this prob and is there anything i can do about it , ive lost the owners manual.
    Make sure you have a fresh battery. When the battery starts to get low, temp is one of the first things to be affected. If they doesn't fix it, give us a call and we will take care of you

For the record, fp meters don't have the cold junction issue that was mentioned. If you are using a variety if thermocouples with the hs36, then you will need to periodically check the calibration. When you calibrate a thermocouple to the meter, that calibration is specific to that thermocouple.

ault51 i feel kinda silly was reading f.p. manual and about to embark on calibration journey lol and i changed the lil ole 9v battery and shes workin like a charm i failed to notice the little low batery icon on screen lol oops, thanks

I have a Fieldpiece SIP2 thermometer. Is this suppose to have a laser light to help aim this. Just bought it and no light. Don't know if it is the way it comes or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast