Trane IntelliPak Microchannel Leakers

Has anyone had any issues with the New Large IntelliPaks Condenser Coils? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by retube View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with the New Large IntelliPaks Condenser Coils? Just asking.
    tone it down!! microchannels are paying for my kids college tuition

I only have one 20 ton Voyger with a Microchannel condenser that I take care of. It's only about 2 years old and no leaks yet, but if it's like the regular condenser coils on Trane RTU's, I'm sure it will be leaking soon. I usually stay perty busy every summer repairing leaks on Trane condensers.

Name:  micro.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  37.5 KB
    two years old unit!!!
    Customers are starting to ask for regular copper condensers, microchannels are gaining a well deserved bad reputation.pure cheap junk IMO.

Carrier micro channel coils are keeping me pretty busy these days.
    RTFM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manny238 View Post
    Carrier micro channel coils are keeping me pretty busy these days.
    Ditto, we have probably installed 200 Carrier micro channel coil units in the last 3 years, probably 20 leakers. Carrier claims to not have any problems, lol.

All Tranes leak!

Lennox Energences can be leakers, too. I think we are all going to learn that it is just going to be an inherent issue with all micro-channels. At least, in my opinion, they are much easier to fix than the copper finned coils. Trick I learned is to reclaim refer, pressurize with nitro, locate ALL leaks, put vacuum pump, and use MAPP gas and a bit of Lucas aluminum filler wire.

I have found that units that were not properly rigged when lifted by the crane, seem to be more prevalent to spring leaks. On those larger tonnage and heavier packaged units, definitely need spreader bars and more than just the basic four corner hook lift. Watched a LARGE tonnage Ipak being lifted last month onto a country rec center, just cringed...four corner lift, no spreaders, and you could just see the unit bowing. Betcha those nice hinged doors, after that lift, are just a bear to open after the frame tweaking the unit took.

After 7 blown condenser coils, 500 lbs of 410A, a lot of oil and and a bunch of man hours we replaced all micro channel coils with standard fin and tube condenser coils on a 200ish ton carrier chiller.. Dumbass foreman ordered all left hand coils instead of 5 L hand and 5 R hand!! I bet he wished he had waited for carrier to do the s/u instead of doing it himself..

Waiting for equipment manufacturers to pull their heads out and look into micro-groove copper coils.
    http://www.microgroove.net/

Hmm

I doubt you'll see a micro groove copper coil due to expense. The going way of doing things today is cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. Also the heat transfer of the aluminum coils will keep them in there as well. My experiences so far with the micro groove coils so far hasn't been bad but I have heard several stories of the units leaking. Just something else to deal with.