Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help to choose thermostat: Infinity or Honeywell

Few years ago contractor installed Carrier Infinity 96 Natural gas furnace in our house. Furnace is 2 stage, variable speed. But I still use single stage thermostat for that. Based on all threads I read here, 2 stage thermostat would be very nice.I do not care that much for cooling, as I have just single stage Air Conditioning and I use it very seldom during summer.

Now I can get Infinity thermostat installed by contractor for about $. I was not able to find this thermostat for sale so I could install it myself. I also can buy Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat that supports 2 stage for about $ on ebay and install it myself.
    Is the 4.5 time difference worth for Infinity thermostat? From reading here I understand that added benefit for Infinity would be fact that I can see stating preassure in my ducts. But that is preatty much it? Humidity is not a problem for me.

Please help me choose.

Thank you.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 02-23-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: No pricing. Didn't you read the rules?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Sorry this is not a DIY site,nor are pricing questions allowed.

See the Rules; http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=5

The Infinty is the better control,IMHO.

Why you would get a furnace like that and keep a cheap control to begin with is beyond me....x yrs wasted money. The Infinity is a top of the line control, the Visionpro is a very good regular multiple stage t-stat. Either way you go, you should really invest in a service call to have your system set up properly by a pro. Many DIY installs of t-stats have gone wrong, not only in install but set-up. JMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

The infinity control is for infinity systems only from qualified dealers. To get the most out of your system this is the way to go. It is a communicating thermistat (user interface) with your furnace control board not just for great effciency but this thing monitors run times and even tells you when something is wrong. It's up to you. Good luck.
    Dux

hands down go with the infinity control it could save troubleshooting time a service tech.

You say that humidity is not a problem but most people do not realize what real comfort is until introduced to it. The infinity control is the way to go. Fan speed control is another plus to the infinity

Reason why I have single stage thermostat is because installer sugested so. Yes, he actually insisted that I do not get Infinity thermostat. After reading all posts here on Infinity, I believe many installers are afraid that information from this thermostat shows many installation problems, so they do not want that homeowner has that information. Example is high static preassure etc.
    And yes, I did do my homework before installing furnace and went with biggest AND most reputable contractor in our area. Unfortuntaelly, installation guys had to come back 7 times, till they finally sloped pipes going outside enough. I am sure you know how important that is.

Thank you everybody for your help. I'll call installer on Monday and will try to schedule appointment to install Infinit control.

Thanks.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzxyz123 View Post
    Reason why I have single stage thermostat is because installer sugested so. Yes, he actually insisted that I do not get Infinity thermostat. After reading all posts here on Infinity, I believe many installers are afraid that information from this thermostat shows many installation problems, so they do not want that homeowner has that information. Example is high static preassure etc.
    And yes, I did do my homework before installing furnace and went with biggest AND most reputable contractor in our area. Unfortuntaelly, installation guys had to come back 7 times, till they finally sloped pipes going outside enough. I am sure you know how important that is.

Thank you everybody for your help. I'll call installer on Monday and will try to schedule appointment to install Infinit control.

Thanks.

An Infinity furnace from a few years ago,may not be able to use the Infinity control.Post the serial number to see.

Model: Carrier Infinity 58MVP100-F-17120
    Serial No: 2404A14491
    Date of manufactury: June 2004.
    Installed August 2004.

I hope it does have Infinity control option.

It will work. MVP furnaces made after 1/03 have the correct control board and ECM.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Honeywell thermostats bother me due to the loud solenoid "click" sound everytime they cut on/off. Especially in the summer for the AC you get two "clicks".

Did you ever get the Infinity controller installed? If so, do you like it? I personally would not have made the purchase (and I love the Infinity system) just to get two stage thermostat. The control board on the furnace will regulate between first and second stage very well by itself. If you are insistant on a two stage thermostat, the Infinity controller is the way to go. Most other two stage thermostats switch from stage one to stage two base on fixed time interval, regardless of conditions. The Infinity controller, as well as the furnace control board take other conditions into consideration before switching to stage two so the result is better comfort.
    Always give your best effort, be honest, and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by mainmanscott View Post
    Did you ever get the Infinity controller installed? If so, do you like it?
    MainManscott,

After all I did not go with Infinity controller. Actually I left my single stage thermostat. But decision was based just on my house duct setup. I was explained that single stage thermostat in certain cases could be better. Explanation - I have one cold room that is furthest from the furnace and above garage. That room gets much less hot air when furnace runs on low speed, and gets enough heat during furnace run on high heat. We noticed that during winter that room (master bedroom) was quite cold during day, but very normally warm in the mornings. That was because during night furnace would work more on high heat and that room would get enough hot air. That setup is perfect for us - we want warm in the morning and do not care about that much during day or in the evening. If we would decide to switch to 2 stage thermostat, we would get more even heat downstairs were thermostat is installed and probably we would have to setup zone heating for room upstairs. I decided do not fix what is not broken and leave it as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast