Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contractors

Last edited by Greend88; 05-10-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Sorry Dbl Post

Quote Originally Posted by 17Esprint View Post
    Heres a good article to maybe give you some answers:
    http://www.achrnews.com/articles/sin...ole-contactors
    I posted that link earlier...

I'm wondering if someone broke the contactor and then put a jumper across the broken contacts to get it running. That could explain why one set of points is missing. If you were just trying to convert it to single pole, there would be no reason to remove the points as was done in the picture.

There's no crank case heater in this Rheem. I know some of them do have two pole contacters. So I looked over the schematic before I replaced it with a single pole. Schematic shows a single pole. Considering the contacts on broke side still look new I'm assuming someone did this on an ot job and only had a 2 pole.

if you need only single pole, why not just put all the wires on the line side of the contactor for the single pole side, assuming double pole is all you have?

if it came factory with single pole, it gets replaced with a single pole.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    if you need only single pole, why not just put all the wires on the line side of the contactor for the single pole side, assuming double pole is all you have?

if it came factory with single pole, it gets replaced with a single pole.
    Only the Shadow knows for sure.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

As a primarily commercial guy, I really don't carry single pole contactors in my truck. I've got too many larger 3-pole contactors and limited space.

Quite a lot of my "fixes" would earn me a spot here on the Wall Of Shame because I'm not afraid to do what is necessary to get the equipment running. If that means doing something like this, it's on.

Yeah, I like to do things correctly, but sometimes, you just gotta DO something.

sometimes gotta use a two pole if thats all ya got beats runnin bk to the shop its a pain

Only after checking this thread many times have I noticed the "Shame".

Other than cost, 1-pole contactors are only used to prevent "on cycle" operation of crankcase heaters.

As many of you have noticed, (and now me also) there isn't a crankcase heater in this situation, so a 1-pole contactor is not necessary.

No harm done in making it a 1-pole, but I thought I'd point it out since I finally noticed.

Although the tech correctly used heavy gauge wire, it looks like he either "modified" a perfectly good and appropriate 2-pole contactor or as Craig1 suggested, utilized a broken 2-pole contactor.

Nothing unsafe, just not pretty.
    "If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    X2. I don't carry single poles at all. I never understood why they even make them except for they might be a bit cheaper to produce. All the solid side does is give you extra spade connectors. Which is nice...

Uh...the first figure/diagram in the linked article reflects the start winding getting both legs of power all the time - even during a cycle? Or am I missing something elementary?

in 10 years in nh have never seen this type of wiring... the 20uf and bleed resistor supply a trickle current through the start coil and then add up to 35uf for start/run per comp rating, correct? we see start caps with potential relays; dedicated heaters wired 2 poles to the line side. but with factory single poles across all brands, have never seen the extra cap setup. is this more common for heat pumps? will double-check for current on the solid leg from now on.

Another myth to bust is the resistor in any way creates the heat or is necessary for this type circuit to work.

It is only for discharging purposes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast