Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharkbite?

Sharkbite?

I was curious what the experts think about 'sharkbite' and similar fittings. Personally I'm against them unless it's an emergency. I don't trust any fitting that relies on a rubber o-ring for it's seal as a permanent component. Thoughts?

never had a problem with them...use seldom though
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

hack-bites for temporary usage only
    ~~
    Political Correctness - the Language of Wussies

Quote Originally Posted by walterwoj View Post
    I was curious what the experts think about 'sharkbite' and similar fittings. Personally I'm against them unless it's an emergency. I don't trust any fitting that relies on a rubber o-ring for it's seal as a permanent component. Thoughts?
    If tubing is reamed as it should be they work great.

They are awesome, I don't use them on the job often because it looks hackish but I use them at my house. We don't do much plumbing and pex is almost as easy as shark bites and looks more professional. I have used them in low crawls and other hard to get to places and they are a life saver.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

have used them from time to time. They are even rated to be concealed behind walls

Moved to General discussion forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Have used them for situations where water shutoff cant be located - like buried underground in a trailer park. They have a truly cool feature for emergency use: you can slide them on with water flowing at full pressure ( you will get wet) and then turn the handle and it stops. I know they are theoretically rated for heating use, but have recently seen a case of catastrophic failure, which ended in a basement flooded with high temp water, as feed valve continued to supply boiler until burners flooded. O rings seem dodgy at first thought, but all hydronic valves and pumps have some sort of O ring or gasket, but again, how often do we replace leaking zone valve bodies, gate valve seats/ packing, or circulator flanges? Since they are easy to put in, then if you use them, put them where they are easy to replace

It's like anything else; if installed correct then you won't have a problem.

Installed correctly = pipe cleaned, reamed, circular, and cut clean.

Just watch using them on soft copper, as they will have a tendency to blow off, and you should always have the pipe anchored good using these, meaning don't use it at the end of a line like a lav stub out where it can blow off easier (Even though they make shark bite lav shut off valves, i don't like the idea though) Inline on a good piece of pipe they come in handy (Say if you cant get water out of the line, meaning you cannot get a good solder joint)

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Say if you cant get water out of the line, meaning you cannot get a good solder joint
    in which case the sharkbite is temporary. install it, fill the line, freeze the line, remove it, repair pipe with soldered joint, thaw pipe.
    ~~
    Political Correctness - the Language of Wussies

Quote Originally Posted by presto1 View Post
    I know they are theoretically rated for heating use, but have recently seen a case of catastrophic failure, which ended in a basement flooded with high temp water, as feed valve continued to supply boiler until burners flooded.
    Did someone do a post failure analysis? Some chance that part was faulty. Greater chance that it was user error. Sharkbite uses toothed stainless springs that work like teeth on zip ties to hold the pressure and o-rings to make a tight seal. It's critically important that pipe is round, cut square, free of burrs and inserted in ALL THE WAY by marking a line and verifying that the line is flush with the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    (Say if you cant get water out of the line, meaning you cannot get a good solder joint)
    Then a jet sweat and a ball valve will take care of that problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast