Duct sealing tips?

I have an unfinished basement and the ductwork is as wide open as it could be. So I used hvac mastic and aluminum foil to seal plenum and duct joints. I didn't do anything to the return except for sealing spaces around electrical wires that go through the return in the basement. Now I really wonder how air sealed returns are within walls. Based on what I saw, what really triggered me to seal the ducts to begin with, kinda makes me feel a bit scared especially after seeing how ****ty the supply ducts were. What should do? Did I miss anything else that is within my reach (tearing up the walls for the sake of return evaluation isn't an option)?

Your best bet would be to seal all the accessible gaps with mastic then get a company with an aeroseal machine to seal the rest. Using wall cavities for returns was a common practice, it is a terrible way to do it and against code now. Most wall cavities are at least somewhat open to unconditioned spaces like attics through wire penetrations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Your best bet would be to seal all the accessible gaps with mastic then get a company with an aeroseal machine to seal the rest. Using wall cavities for returns was a common practice, it is a terrible way to do it and against code now. Most wall cavities are at least somewhat open to unconditioned spaces like attics through wire penetrations, etc.
    My home was built in 2000. Is there a way to tell how the return is made?

Duct butter and you'll be fine.