Thread: Document writer

Post Likes

Document writer

I'm trying to go paperless with everything. A lot of my startup/commissioning forms I download onto my laptop off the company's web portal, then print out. Is there a good free system that I could load that would allow me to type directly into those forms after I downloaded them?
    My apologies, I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world. And we have too many different forms to download them all into my computer.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

2. Likes JohnCGriffin liked this post
    Post Likes
    Are they in .PDF format? I believe Adobe Reader will let you type on PDFs even if the form isn't formatted to do so. The only other alternative is purchasing Adobe Acrobat, but that's mad expensive.

Post Likes
    Yup, mostly PDF files.
    Last time my hard drive crashed it came back from the repair shop with Adobe cloud trial. It let's me type in but it's limited in how many trials I have before purchasing it

Post Likes
    If they are in a PDF format you could get a PDF to Word converter and type anything into the Word doc. Some of the converters are better than others and you might need to clean it up somewhat (formatting) after the conversion.

You might be able to get the company to allow you server space to upload the Word doc for future use after conversion and clean up, since it sounds like you don't want to save it on your local disk.

You could then convert back to PDF and save on your local disk as a completed document.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    those pdf's probably began life as word or excel files then were converted to pdf's. ask your office if they have copies of the originals.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    I do this all the time, it's worth your time and money to buy either Nitro PDF or Foxxit PDF. both will allow you to export PDF files to word or excel, create PDFs from just about everything and most importantly edit PDFs. They are both about $100, and I feel are well worth it. I kind of prefer Foxxit to Nitro.

Post Likes
    These other guys pretty much have it covered. If you don't want to spend the money for Adobe the try out the free trial versions of Foxit, Nitro and the newest, (and least expensive), Nuance pdf. converters to see which one you like the best. They are all about 1/3 the price of Adobe. Keeping in mind that Adobe created the pdf. format and will always be the least likely to experience problems, and most likely to provide support. Kudo's for the commitment to go as paperless as possible by the way.

Post Likes
    Not to bring up an old thread, but I've tried some things and thought I'd share. I've been playing Adobe Reader, which gives around 10 free trials to upload and send documents via Adobe Cloud. The basic download of Reader was free.
    So, what I've done is set my laptop default to open documents using Adobe. For job paperwork, I download it into my computer and save under downloads. Then after they're saved, I open the document. Then I can add text to the download, and when I save the changes its saved back into the saved download. Then I go into my email, and can attach said document and send to whom ever I please. I don't use the free trials this way, all I'm using is the free download. I've also scanned and downloaded service tickets, time cards and other office documents into the computer and have been playing around with adding text to them.
    I'm very pleased with how my commissioning reports and startup paperwork come out. Everything comes out very professional and legible, and the office gets the info asap as soon as I'm done.
    If anyone's interested I can try and share a document so you can see how it works.

Post Likes
    Here's an example, just a test sheet I played around with

Test Sheet.pdf

Post Likes
    An update here for anyone interested in doing this, Adobe changed some things around that I wasn't pleased with. So I wound up stumbling across a program called Foxit Reader, which I actually like better than Adobe.
    Free download for your device.