Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've always used oxy-acetylene. Buying new set of torches and checking options. Any reason to buy air-acety over oxy-acety. anyone. I'm not one to change the program if it works, but open to opinions.
    Two sets of eyes are better than one.

Oxy ace all the way. Ace air is cheaper, but can't hold a candle to the intense heat and versitility of an oxy ace.
    Luke 6:31

Some of these air-acety outfits claim to be 30% faster than oxy-acety. Beats me.

.................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Why not oxy/propane,

thats what we use overhere, for smaller diameters up to about 1" indoors and about .75"outdoors.
    Lager diameters we put together with oxy/ace.
    .................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Acetylene has more btu/ ft3 than propane.

Originally posted by bananas
    Some of these air-acety outfits claim to be 30% faster than oxy-acety. Beats me.
    I doubt it but if there is I hope someone speaks up. You will have no problems brazing up to 7/8 but if there is any wind outside you will be wishing you had brought both.

I find techs with somewhat less experience will have better results with air/acc up to about 7/8od as it's a cooler flame and with oxy/acc they tend to boil the silver creating little holes.

The cooler flame also tends to create better flow on small pipe. In tight places though the air/acc has a larger flame and can burn stuff.

I like them both and would choose based on the job.

there are several reasons to go with Oxy-acetylene.

First, a neutral oxy-ace flame burns at 5,780°F, extremely efficient. Even on larger diameter pipe.

Second: very "clean" flame. Oxy-propane is a nasty flame creating more oxidation than necessary.

Third, cheaper because of #1, much faster. I can braze a 3/8ths pipe in 15 seconds with Oxy-acetylene, A Ύ" pipe takes 20-30 seconds

Forth: because of the intense heat, the weld effect zone is much smaller, thereby saving the service valve from to much heat.

More importantly, when brazing copper pipe, always be mindful of running Nitrogen through the pipe to eliminate oxidation. this alone will save you a lot of grief later on
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Oxy ace can be as cool as ace air, you just have to regulate fuel, oxygen, and distance.

A good air-fuel torch is enough for brazing. One less tank to carry and fewer adjustments. Since even a TS4000 MAPP gas torch is enough for brazing together an evaporator block (which involves brazing a 1.25" copper cap onto a 2.5" x 3.5" x 1/8" base), a better torch would work even better.
    BTW, to save fuel and enhance safety, try to get a torch with a pushbutton valve and built in lighter. Once adjusted, simply push the button to light the torch and release it to turn it off. You'll only have the torch lit when necessary and not have to carry a separate lighter.

Heat sensitive parts such as txv's and rev valves are best installed with oxace.

Today I had the pleasure of loading my 250lb shop oxy-ace rig into my truck for some brazing, as my small tanks were empty. Fun.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast