Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seen A split like that on a r22 coil that was piped in to a 410a system. Blew out at around 390 psi when I went to test the high pressure limit switch.

Keep going, theres some close ideas.

No pressure switch. There was 3 of these splits in various places in the bottom 2 tubes.

They said they thought it quit in the fall....

Defiantly the result of some internal pressure. A hydraulic force of some sort. Possibly liquid refrigerant pressure built up due to some sort of restriction in the outdoor coil.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

OK I'll try, suction side leak lost all the refrigerant, vacuum on low side on compressor startup sucked in air, non condensable air in high side drove head pressure sky high, boom.

I wouldn't think it would have taken out more than 1 spot though.

It definitely looks like it happened from the inside out. Pressure is the only thing I can think of that would cause a clean slit like that. It's just a matter of what caused the excessive pressure. Is it electrically related?
    I am the Stig

The suspense is killing me...

I saw an episode of an old This Old House program where a 1/2" water tube failed just like that. The guy cut the hard drawn burst piece out then cut the tube in half. Then he put it under a microscope where draw lines or groves were seen that were created and caused by the velocity of the water passing through the copper hard drawn lines. And this was just water.

I'm betting the same thing happened here. And if it happened on that line the rest are soon to follow.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I saw an episode of an old This Old House program where a 1/2" water tube failed just like that. The guy cut the hard drawn burst piece out then cut the tube in half. Then he put it under a microscope where draw lines or groves were seen that were created and caused by the velocity of the water passing through the copper hard drawn lines. And this was just water.

I'm betting the same thing happened here. And if it happened on that line the rest are soon to follow.
    If it looked like that on a water line it was a freeze split on this old house (ice push's out, i does not care if its easier sideways, every freeze up on a water line i have ever fixed looks the same (Tons) now in this coil i dont know, but its identical to a freeze split, and being all at the bottom of the coil where water would collect when unit is off since it was fall

My guess the condensor fan motor failed and the thin copper gave out before the compressor's pressure relief opened. Or maybe it failed to open?

Here is my guess... The cap tube that broke off inside was the start of the problem. The coil doesn't drain well at all. Sits right down on the floor and the drain runs horizontal for a ways.

Figure the cap tube broke, lost all the gas.
    Compressor continued to run with the cap tube still broke off.
    Sucked in a ton of water.
    Pulled the water outside.
    Compressor finally gave up the ghost. Capacitor literally exploded.
    water settled in the bottom 2 tubes of the condenser coil.
    Winter got here and burst the tube in 3 places.

Thats my best theory.

Do you really think the compressor would live long enough pumping water to accumulate that much water in the coil. For it to get in the condenser coil it would have to go through the compressor. Given the age I'm sure it's a reciprocating compressor and I have never seen one pump that much water that long.

How else would you explain the water in the coil? Would have taken water to blow it out like that in 3 spots. Just the refrigerant pressure would have escaped from the first blow out, not 3 separate ones.

Massively over charged?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast