Supco M500 megger

To call this toy a Megger y is a joke. Not when you consider a true megger (Crank handle) puts out so much voltage it you could read microscopic faults in the winding insulation.

A certain resistance value would advise of moisture in system and a tech could perform a remedial procedure to head off comp damage.

This device generates a whooping 500vdc.

Just enough to find grounds, True megger?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    To call this toy a Megger y is a joke. Not when you consider a true megger (Crank handle) puts out so much voltage it you could read microscopic faults in the winding insulation.

A certain resistance value would advise of moisture in system and a tech could perform a remedial procedure to head off comp damage.

This device generates a whooping 500vdc.

Just enough to find grounds, True megger?

What do you think?
    I have one. I also have the Megger 420. Megger is actually a brand name. The Megger 420 can perform PI and DAR tests and actually give you results. Some other meters say they do the tests but are unable to give the results.

I only use the Supco as a sales aid because it says "bad" and "caution" etc. I get a kick out of the term bad, I refuse to use the term. But I explain it to the homeowner. The results are similar for spot checks between the two actually. I think 500v is adequate for 240v systems as I recall.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

I guess it revolves around what your budget is. I personally have an Extech 38---something Analog Megohmeter. It runs around $200 and does what I need it to do on an everyday basis. We have a Fluke 1550 that we use for the expensive equipment. That meg meter runs $4K+ so, I am not about to let it ride around in the back of someone's van. It stays safely at the shop until it is needed. So it only comes out when we are trying to troubleshoot a large chiller or very large motor, etc... A meg meter is to be used as one tool in the diagnosis, not a be all end all. I like the idea that Jim mentioned of using the idiot light model to show the owner or building rep that something has failed or is going to fail.