+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting a high temp AC into a medium temp cooler??? Help please

Post Likes

Converting a high temp AC into a medium temp cooler??? Help please

Gentleman,

Had a call today there warehouse cooler has a bad compressor, won't start, this is the first time I've ever been to this place. There unit is a 5 ton high temp air conditioner, matched up with a Larkin evap coil. I've only ran across 2 air conditioners being used as a medium temp coolers.This system didn't have a external receiver installed on it, the other one I saw way back when did. This system was just installed 2 years ago, obviously it didn't last. Question is, can I just replace this compressor (warranty) and install a receiver to it? Will this system last if I do, or do you think it's the high compressor ratios that killed this system, or both. I'm being told you can't do this cause of compressor ratios, but we all hear a lot from what we hear and read but aren't always the real world. If I install a receiver will I still be back in 2 years? Does the expansion valve system necessarily need the receiver or condensing coil storing the gas? Discharge problems? High compression ratios the problem? Have you guys seen AC systems used as a cooler that have lasted for years? I thought I'd ask all you guys, and will let owner choose what she wants to do, and I will quote her the correct matching condensing unit as well

Thanks guys

Post Likes
    The high compressor ratio story is false because most all A/C compressors are rated for medium temperature applications as well.

I've run into these FrankenUnits numerous times over the years and usually the compressor dies from the lack of proper functional and protective controls like receivers, full-size filter-driers, sightglasses, high/low pressure controls, pumpdown controls, head pressure controls, start capacitors & potential relays...just to name a few.

Will they last for years? Yes...if you do all of the above and also know what you're doing...and then some. I have a 1993 Rheem 3-ton cube still running a 10-door walk-in box for one of my oldest convenience store customers. I don't recommend doing it...just saying it can be done.

In your case, I would stay away from the warranty aspects of this as it's a blatant misapplication and as such would be not be covered under warranty...or at least it would be unethical to turn this bad compressor in for warranty credit.

Post Likes
    moved thread to Refrigeration and Ice making

Post Likes
    Could you explain more about compression ratio being false. I have been put under the impression this was true as condenser psi is generally the same and indoor coil psi is lower. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Could you explain more about compression ratio being false. I have been put under the impression this was true as condenser psi is generally the same and indoor coil psi is lower. Thanks
    The compression ratio is higher, however it is usually still within the approved operating envelope for most A/C compressors.

Post Likes
    Thanks guy exactly what I wanted to know and suspected. Much rather ask the experts then what I read or here from over the counter lol

Post Likes
    Most medium temp condensing units use ac compressors....(R-22 that is) Icemeister is steering you right. It can be made to work, but after all the time and parts and labor to set it up correctly, did they really save any money? The installer gets the job with a low-ball price, and the thing works when he leaves and he gets paid, but now your stuck with the beast and a dead compressor! Good luck with it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in