+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to decide whether to replace Thermopile or RV8310 Valve?

Post Likes

Trying to decide whether to replace Thermopile or RV8310 Valve?

I have a Vermont Castings gas fireplace with a Honeywell RV8310 RF valve.
    Here is what is happening...
    Sometimes it works fine for hours.
    Sometimes the pilot goes out.
    Sometimes the unit calls for heat and the fan goes on, but the main burner does not light, and the pilot is still lit.
    The pilot is always fairly easy to light and leave in the "pilot" position, but sometimes when I turn the knob to "on", there is a click and the pilot goes out.

Here is what I have checked and tested...
    Both thermopiles read 600+ mV open circuit. I tested this with the pilot on, while holding the pilot light button in.
    When testing them in circuit, they fluctuate between 370-420 mV.

When the pilot is lit, and the unit is in the "on" position, the red LED flashes once about ever 1.5 seconds. It does this even with no batteries in the remote, so it is not getting commands from the remote. According to my manual, it should only flash when it receive a valid code from the remote or if there is an error. I am not getting any error codes as described in the manual.

I have cleaned the thermopiles with no luck.

The question is, do I replace the thermopiles or the valve. The symptom that concerns me most is when the pilot remains lit and the unit is calling for heat and the fan is on, but the main burner is not. This symptom seems atypical for indicating bad thermopiles.

All suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Post Likes
    Save yourself some time and money and have someone qualified come out and fix it once

Post Likes
    Your therm-o-pile is not producing enough mv to always keep the valve open, and it sounds like you may have something I call flame drift in the pilot. I agree with the above person you should have it looked at by a Qualified person in your area.

Post Likes
    Hey

I would change both thermopiles and make sure the white leads off the thermopiles are placed where the white dots are on the gas valve. They are polarity sensitive, so if the white lead is in the wrong position you'll have problems.

Let us know what you experienced.

Post Likes
    Thermopiles are cheap for a good reason.....replace them

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the feedback, I especially liked the ones suggesting getting someone qualified. I have a friend who owns a large HVAC supply house in NY and his people suggested replacing the valve. I got almost as many suggestions to change the valve as I did the thermopiles. Since the thermopiles were cheap, I did that first, with no luck. I got a replacement valve at a good price with fast shipping from http://www.tesstools.net/GAS_VALVE_p/111814-01.htm. My fireplace is working great. Now that I have replaced the valve and thermopiles, the only thing remaining that can go bad is the fan.

Thanks again

Steve

Post Likes
    I am having identical problem, that link no longer exists... anyone know where to find one of these valves?

Portland, OR(Previous: Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma)
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
    I am having identical problem, that link no longer exists... anyone know where to find one of these valves?
    the valves are obsolete.

A. Find a new valve online and replace with two new thermopiles and cross your fingers.

B. Get a conversion kit (new valve, pilot assembly, burner and orifice).

C. Get a new fireplace

Post Likes
    "I am having identical problem, that link no longer exists... anyone know where to find one of these valves?"

It's a 5 year old thread!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post

It's a 5 year old thread!!!!

whiner
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Contact Vermont Castings directly and they can redirect you to a dealrer that can get the correct valve replacement kit.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in