Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane Compressor Leak...Is it fixable?

Post Likes

Trane Compressor Leak...Is it fixable?

Hi all,

We have a Trane CGWD050GCONT101 Chiller in our building. One of the two circuits is down at the moment, as the 15 ton compressor (Model CSHS150J0HOF) has a rather large leak on the suction fitting, which is pretty rusty. My question is this: Is it possible to repair just the suction fitting? All the quotes we have received so far have been to replace the entire compressor, at a very large expense. I just want to know if it is even possible to repair it, as that seems like it would cost less than replacing the whole (otherwise perfectly good) compressor. The model they have quoted for replacement is a CSHA150R0*00. I have also received a quote for a Danfoss at about 2/3rds the price.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Mike

Post Likes
    Ya don't want to go cheap on this one.

Post Likes
    That's what I thought, but I need to convince the guy that pays the bills Any good arguments for why a hermetic compressor cannot be repaired? My thoughts would be that there isn't an easy way to do it that I can see that wouldn't result in metal shavings or welding spatter ending up inside the shell...

The other option one of our quotes gave was to remove that compressor, cap off it's connections, and run it with 3 compressors instead of four. Would that be a reasonable temporary fix to get us through this season, until we can afford to replace that compressor?

Post Likes
    need to change the compressor!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound View Post
    Hi all,

We have a Trane CGWD050GCONT101 Chiller in our building. One of the two circuits is down at the moment, as the 15 ton compressor (Model CSHS150J0HOF) has a rather large leak on the suction fitting, which is pretty rusty. My question is this: Is it possible to repair just the suction fitting? All the quotes we have received so far have been to replace the entire compressor, at a very large expense. I just want to know if it is even possible to repair it, as that seems like it would cost less than replacing the whole (otherwise perfectly good) compressor. The model they have quoted for replacement is a CSHA150R0*00. I have also received a quote for a Danfoss at about 2/3rds the price.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Mike
    Can you post pictures of leak location?

Post Likes
    I'll go get some pictures on my way out, and post them tonight...It seems to be a pinhole type leak on the underside of the suction fitting on the compressor...It was pretty badly rusted. My other concern is what shape the other three compressors are in if that one was so bad.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-08-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Post Likes
    servicetech

Please check your PMs.

Thanks, AOPC

Post Likes
    DeltaTech

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Here are some pictures of the leak area on Compressor 'C.' The leak itself is on the underside of this fitting, right smack in the middle.

Name:  compressor1.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  19.0 KBName:  compressor2.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  18.2 KB

Post Likes
    I don't see any way to repair that without replacing the compressor. The steel is too rusty. If by chance someone was able to stop the leak, don't expect the repair to last long. R22 is too expensive to be messing around with this. If I was the tech looking at this, compressor replacement would be the only option I would give you.

Post Likes
    there is really no other option, replace the compressor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I don't see any way to repair that without replacing the compressor. The steel is too rusty. If by chance someone was able to stop the leak, don't expect the repair to last long. R22 is too expensive to be messing around with this. If I was the tech looking at this, compressor replacement would be the only option I would give you.
    Reading this thread, I was on the fence, waiting for pics. Not any more. The reminder of R22 prices is the ol' nail in the coffin.

Post Likes
    I have also received a quote for a Danfoss at about 2/3rds the price.
    I would stick with the compressor from Trane. Since there are multiple compressors in tandem on the same circuit, there is an orifice plate that goes in the suction line of the compressor. It is critical that this orifice is right or you will have oil return problems and possibly loose the replacement compressor. I'm not sure how that would work out using a non OEM compressor.

The other option one of our quotes gave was to remove that compressor, cap off it's connections, and run it with 3 compressors instead of four. Would that be a reasonable temporary fix to get us through this season, until we can afford to replace that compressor?
    I don't see that as a problem as long as it is done in a way that won't cause oil return problems to the remaining compressors. Also, it would need to be done in a way that doesn't affect the hot gas and suction manifolds. When you eventually replace the compressor, that orifice plate will need to be reinstalled and the piping will need to be exactly the way it was originally. In the end, it's going to cost you a lot more money than if you just replace the compressor now.

Post Likes
    servicetrane

Please review the AOP Forum rules before posting.

Those rules can be found here.

Thanks,

AOPC

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    servicetrane

Please review the AOP Forum rules before posting.

Those rules can be found here.

Thanks,

AOPC
    He doesn't speak English and uses a translator program. You may want to be more specific.

Post Likes
    He doesn't speak English and uses a translator program. You may want to be more specific.
    This will be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up, R123.

Post Likes
    I would stick with the compressor from Trane. Since there are multiple compressors in tandem on the same circuit, there is an orifice plate that goes in the suction line of the compressor. It is critical that this orifice is right or you will have oil return problems and possibly loose the replacement compressor. I'm not sure how that would work out using a non OEM compressor.

I don't see that as a problem as long as it is done in a way that won't cause oil return problems to the remaining compressors. Also, it would need to be done in a way that doesn't affect the hot gas and suction manifolds. When you eventually replace the compressor, that orifice plate will need to be reinstalled and the piping will need to be exactly the way it was originally. In the end, it's going to cost you a lot more money than if you just replace the compressor now.
    I figured as much when it comes to the ultimate cost. I am definitely 100% for the replacement of that compressor. Now I just have to convince the head honcho. I just got a price to do the cap off and removal of the leaking compressor, and it is not far off from the replacement price. That'll definitely help my argument. I had not thought about the price of R-22 being as big a factor as it is until it was mentioned here. Yikes! Anyway, Thanks for all the advice guys...I'll let you know what we decide.

Post Likes
    Well, we bit the bullet. The paperwork has been signed, now we're just waiting for parts to arrive, so they can start on the compressor replacement. They are also going to clean up the 3 remaining compressors, and re-paint that joint with some epoxy-based coating of some sort. Thanks for the help guys!

Post Likes
    Sad when someone could have brazed that right up w/ flux and 45% silver. Have done this many times w/o ever having issues. Have any of you actually seen whats behind that shell at that point? The factory welded it why can't you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in