Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Compressor Leak...Is it fixable?

Hi all,

We have a Trane CGWD050GCONT101 Chiller in our building. One of the two circuits is down at the moment, as the 15 ton compressor (Model CSHS150J0HOF) has a rather large leak on the suction fitting, which is pretty rusty. My question is this: Is it possible to repair just the suction fitting? All the quotes we have received so far have been to replace the entire compressor, at a very large expense. I just want to know if it is even possible to repair it, as that seems like it would cost less than replacing the whole (otherwise perfectly good) compressor. The model they have quoted for replacement is a CSHA150R0*00. I have also received a quote for a Danfoss at about 2/3rds the price.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Mike

Ya don't want to go cheap on this one.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

That's what I thought, but I need to convince the guy that pays the bills Any good arguments for why a hermetic compressor cannot be repaired? My thoughts would be that there isn't an easy way to do it that I can see that wouldn't result in metal shavings or welding spatter ending up inside the shell...

The other option one of our quotes gave was to remove that compressor, cap off it's connections, and run it with 3 compressors instead of four. Would that be a reasonable temporary fix to get us through this season, until we can afford to replace that compressor?

need to change the compressor!

Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound View Post
    Hi all,

We have a Trane CGWD050GCONT101 Chiller in our building. One of the two circuits is down at the moment, as the 15 ton compressor (Model CSHS150J0HOF) has a rather large leak on the suction fitting, which is pretty rusty. My question is this: Is it possible to repair just the suction fitting? All the quotes we have received so far have been to replace the entire compressor, at a very large expense. I just want to know if it is even possible to repair it, as that seems like it would cost less than replacing the whole (otherwise perfectly good) compressor. The model they have quoted for replacement is a CSHA150R0*00. I have also received a quote for a Danfoss at about 2/3rds the price.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Mike
    Can you post pictures of leak location?

I'll go get some pictures on my way out, and post them tonight...It seems to be a pinhole type leak on the underside of the suction fitting on the compressor...It was pretty badly rusted. My other concern is what shape the other three compressors are in if that one was so bad.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-08-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

DeltaTech

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Here are some pictures of the leak area on Compressor 'C.' The leak itself is on the underside of this fitting, right smack in the middle.

Name:  compressor1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  19.0 KBName:  compressor2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  18.2 KB

I don't see any way to repair that without replacing the compressor. The steel is too rusty. If by chance someone was able to stop the leak, don't expect the repair to last long. R22 is too expensive to be messing around with this. If I was the tech looking at this, compressor replacement would be the only option I would give you.

there is really no other option, replace the compressor

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I don't see any way to repair that without replacing the compressor. The steel is too rusty. If by chance someone was able to stop the leak, don't expect the repair to last long. R22 is too expensive to be messing around with this. If I was the tech looking at this, compressor replacement would be the only option I would give you.
    Reading this thread, I was on the fence, waiting for pics. Not any more. The reminder of R22 prices is the ol' nail in the coffin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast