Building House Need Opions

I am building a house and want to put a good wood burning fireplace in it. dont know much about them so does anyone have favorites that they think are good options

if you must burn wood, get an EPA certified hybrid half fireplace- half woodstove or not at all. Be sure to get the combustion air kit and chimney air kit and install in accordance with the listed instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by airsmith View Post
    I am building a house and want to put a good wood burning fireplace in it. dont know much about them so does anyone have favorites that they think are good options
    Along the same lines, use fresh make-up air ventilation to provide a fresh air change in 4-5 hours. This helps the wood burner draft properly. The basic need of any quality air tight home is to use fresh air to purge the indoor pollutants, allow all exhaust devices like the bath fans, kitchen hood, and clothes drier to function, and renew oxygen.
    If the home is located in a green grass climate, use a whole house ventilating dehumidifier, like the Ultra-Aire. This will deal with any excess humidity that builds up in the home when the outdoor dew points are +60^F and low/no cooling loads. It is important to maintain fresh air change and <50%RH through the year.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

hearthman do you have any brands or websites you suggest

Are you doing this just for looks or for heat? You are much better off with a wood stove or wood insert if it is for heat. Hearthstone has lots of wood stoves, wood inserts, and wood fireplaces. We have installed tons of them and they are beautiful and functional.

I personally would shy away from Hearthstone products as I don't think you get the quality that you're paying for.

Really? I don't have Hearthstone in my house but we do have a couple gas ones in our showrooms and many customers with them. Generally, everyone likes them. They don't have the reputation that Jotul has, obviously, but we haven't had too many problems. A few, but that is true with any brand. What don't you like? Is it the enamel because it chips if you aren't careful when moving? Or is it just price vs. quality value? This interests me as we sell a lot of them.

The problems I see are mostly the woodstoves not holding up, panels warping and cracking(most likely customers are over firing the stove) but other mfrs. handle the over fire better imo. also the price to quality ratio is not very good. you pay for a premium stove and don't get one. This is my personal opinion and I generally don't like bashing mfrs. because every mfg has their problems.

hi! very good advices, and for looks? which ones are the nicest ones? i mean regarding materials, apart from colours, liking...