Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Do It Yourselfer that has Done It To Himself! =-(

HVAC. How hard can it be?

Ah crap!

I can use some advice here.

Turned on the AC yesterday, and it's blowing room temperature air. Here we go, I thought.

I have a through wall unit that is located in a sun room on my house. I took the cover off to take a closer look. Yeah, the air filter needed to be replaced on a neglected unit as is.

But I noticed that the motor that blows the warm air out of the outside of the house was not coming on. It would make a brief humming noise every 30 seconds but the shaft wouldn't spool up with the fan attached. So I figured that it needed to be replaced. I took the housing off and the motor out. The leads going to the box were a bit rusty as well. The motor itself was hot to the touch, so I was sure the motor was the cuplrit.

I contacted the company where I can get OEM parts from and am prepared to buy a new motor, capacitor, and fan to mount to the shaft....yes, I mushroomed the shaft wacking at it trying to get the retainer off, so it's not salvageable.

Does it sound like I might be heading in the right direction, or should I make the extra step of replacing the controller box as well.

Feeling around in the dark here and I have a feeling that this whole ordeal will end with new parts, continued warm air and a call to a service professional any way.

Ah geeze

R U 4 real?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Yes, why?

Economy sucks, money is tight, and I've had to do what I can to fix stuff around the house. That's why I came here for advice.

Do you wanna beat me up, help me out, or just make me feel badly altogther?

Quote Originally Posted by Tropheus View Post
    HVAC. How hard can it be?

Ah crap!

I can use some advice here.

Turned on the AC yesterday, and it's blowing room temperature air. Here we go, I thought.

I have a through wall unit that is located in a sun room on my house. I took the cover off to take a closer look. Yeah, the air filter needed to be replaced on a neglected unit as is.

But I noticed that the motor that blows the warm air out of the outside of the house was not coming on. It would make a brief humming noise every 30 seconds but the shaft wouldn't spool up with the fan attached. So I figured that it needed to be replaced. I took the housing off and the motor out. The leads going to the box were a bit rusty as well. The motor itself was hot to the touch, so I was sure the motor was the cuplrit.

I contacted the company where I can get OEM parts from and am prepared to buy a new motor, capacitor, and fan to mount to the shaft....yes, I mushroomed the shaft wacking at it trying to get the retainer off, so it's not salvageable.

Does it sound like I might be heading in the right direction, or should I make the extra step of replacing the controller box as well.

Feeling around in the dark here and I have a feeling that this whole ordeal will end with new parts, continued warm air and a call to a service professional any way.

Ah geeze
    Yes it sounds like your on the right path to spending more than needed and messing it up big time.

It would have been cheaper, and easier to call in a pro.

As said a billion times before, we are not allowed to help anyone do DYI, and even if we were, why would we take money out of our own pocket to put it in yours?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Ptac (through the wall units) are a pita to work on. Sounds like you may be on the right track but its hard to say from here. It usually ends up costing less to call a pro in the first place if you really aren't sure about what you're doing. Not trying to beat you up for trying.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-12-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

I don't know. I guess just to help another person. I help people all the time in my own profession at no charge, just because it's good to help another.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I've obviously insulted the bretheren and will go it alone. Good luck to you. Hope someone is there to help you up for "free" if you ever fall.

Thanks for the added comments from the two previous. I was just looking for a little light in the dark. That's all.

I smell sharks....

The motor and capacitor are reasonable. At the end of the day, a new up to date stand alone outdoor unit is the way to go. When the funds present themselves, we will go in that direction.

Right now, I was hoping to do what I can to get another season out of this already aged unit. Want to keep the family cool if I can. I like working on things. It's fun. I used to do apartment maintenance back in college. I had a great supervisor that taught me a lot. I remember replacing a lot of broken fans and motors going out was a common problem.

I don't know. I guess just to help another person. I help people all the time in my own profession at no charge, just because it's good to help another.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I've obviously insulted the bretheren and will go it alone. Good luck to you. Hope someone is there to help you up for "free" if you ever fall.

Thanks for the added comments from the two previous. I was just looking for a little light in the dark. That's all.
    so do we, but you are not in our profession, so we charge for our services.

If I came to your professions web page and asked you how to do your job to save money, would you help me?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

I wish you would have posted pictures. I am more of a visual learner

Just because your a martyr doesn't mean I have to be. By the way be careful electricity bites I know you have experience at the mall.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

YORKAPPRENTICE, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast