Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Need more input.. (high leg)

So this is not a job, or something I need to do for some one else. I just want to learn more than what I can find out there on the net.

I seem to be missing something, I'd ask please if you guys could fill me in do so...

please refer me to a link that had this asked.

I'm looking at a electrical panel. (the reason why I'm here is just for educational purpose) At the top we have ground - black - red - blue - neutral.

from ground to phase is 120v
    from Neutral to phase is 120v
    from phase to phase is 240v

Where is the high leg? I know that (middle)phase is B(red) is the high leg but cant seem to show it on my meter. I keep wanting to see 208v displayed on the meter.
    Last edited by the_4rs; 10-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Post Likes
    Not an electrical whiz by any stretch. I know enough to get by and to not kill myself around high voltage.

Let me ask you a question. How do you "KNOW" that the B phase is the high leg if you cannot get it to show on your meter.

The high leg is named that because it is higher than the other phases and it will show on a meter. You may simply not have the transformer setup that provides a high leg.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Let me ask you a question. How do you "KNOW" that the B phase is the high leg if you cannot get it to show on your meter. You may simply not have the transformer setup that provides a high leg.
    I know that the middle lug is B phase is the high leg from all the other sources. When I wanted to see it in my panel I was very surprised to not have a high leg. After I gave up on the search for the non-high leg panel I posted a question..

So as you stated that I's possible that my panel is not configured for a High leg. I didn't even know of that. Which would explain it.

So is my panel not considered 3phase 120/240? I just have an extra 120v for appliance looking for that extra leg to operate..

Post Likes
    Not all three phase panels have a stinger leg...........
    "If you think it is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you have hired an amateur"

Red Adair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    Not all three phase panels have a stinger leg...........
    OK so it is 3 phase, how do you lable it? 120/240v

if it had a stinger than 120/208/240v

Post Likes
    there are delta and wye configurations, There is no wild or power leg in the Wye

Post Likes
    Understood.. no wild in Wye... only in Delta..

How would you label my panel?

240/120v ?

Post Likes
    I seen this on a pdf ... quoting it

"In the USA the most common configuration is 208Y/120. This indicates that line to line (L-L) voltage is 208Vac in
    a WYE configuration and the line to neutral (L-N) voltage is 120Vac. It is also sometimes designated 120/208Vac,
    120/208WYE, 208/120 WYE, 4 wire WYE or 120/208Y."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the_4rs View Post

from ground to phase is 120v
    from Neutral to phase is 120v
    from phase to phase is 240v
    Strange, if these voltages were checked on all phases I'm not aware of any standard 3 phase system that will give these numbers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HellGato View Post
    I seen this on a pdf ... quoting it

"In the USA the most common configuration is 208Y/120. This indicates that line to line (L-L) voltage is 208Vac in
    a WYE configuration and the line to neutral (L-N) voltage is 120Vac. It is also sometimes designated 120/208Vac,
    120/208WYE, 208/120 WYE, 4 wire WYE or 120/208Y."
    Oh, OK.. so either way 240/120v (Wye) - 120/240v (Wye)

This go the same for 120/208/240v (Delta) - 240/208/120v (Delta) WOULD YOU AGREE?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CleterD View Post
    Strange, if these voltages were checked on all phases I'm not aware of any standard 3 phase system that will give these numbers.
    Well there is a donut shop that has this configuration that is why Posted a question to ask you guys of this.
    all 120v neutral to phase and ground to phase. phase to phase 240v. I guess it all depends on how the transformer is hooked up...

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You may simply not have the transformer setup that provides a high leg.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the_4rs View Post
    Well there is a donut shop that has this configuration that is why Posted a question to ask you guys of this.
    all 120v neutral to phase and ground to phase. phase to phase 240v. I guess it all depends on how the transformer is hooked up...
    It's impossible to get these voltages with 3phase so we will just leave it at that and assume it's some weird setup.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CleterD View Post
    It's impossible to get these voltages with 3phase so we will just leave it at that and assume it's some weird setup.
    ground to phase 118.7 - 123.3 - 120.4
    neutral to phase 119.3 - 123.5 - 120.4

A-C 209.3
    A-B 208.7
    C-B 211.8

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast