+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: supco hard start kits

Post Likes

Old Kenmore chest freezer hard start kit.

I have kenmore freezer mo#198-717646. It tries to start several times before it succeeds. According to the parts breakdown it has a start kit 482398 that is no longer available. It appears the cap is available.
    Question. Is a substitute available?

The freezer was purchased in 1976. It still keeps the freezer at -3 deg. Sometimes it starts up on the first try,and other times it 3 to 6 times before it starts. I hate to buy another one if it can be fixed with a cap or a sub start kit. If I unplug it and let it sit until the compressor cools then it will start first try.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I seen two fractional sized compressors short out within a few months after Supco 3 in 1 kits had been installed. Coincidence?

Post Likes
    It has been my experience that by the time you have to have a hard start kit the compressor is on the way out. Did you check the amp draw before and / or after.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I seen two fractional sized compressors short out within a few months after Supco 3 in 1 kits had been installed. Coincidence?

Post Likes
    I am talking bout a Supco 3 in 1. Is this what you are calling a hard start? Reason for replacing was a faulty start relay. On this unit, the compressor was abused due to dirty coil but still working. A month later it died. I chalked it up to the clogged coil but the 2nd unit, I didn't install the 3 in 1 but I know it was only in service bout 5 months with the 3 in 1 installed and last week found it dead.

I think I am going back to OE start kits. I'm not a big fan of quick fixes.

Post Likes
    I've also seen 3 in 1's on compressors that have been there for well over 12 years old and still working.

Only time I go back with the oem starting components is if its still under warranty.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

I am talking bout a Supco 3 in 1. Is this what you are calling a hard start? Reason for replacing was a faulty start relay. On this unit, the compressor was abused due to dirty coil but still working. A month later it died. I chalked it up to the clogged coil but the 2nd unit, I didn't install the 3 in 1 but I know it was only in service bout 5 months with the 3 in 1 installed and last week found it dead.

I think I am going back to OE start kits. I'm not a big fan of quick fixes.
    I agree, always go back OEM .. but I am curious what was the model number of the compressor or mf of start cap on said compressor, because as I stated earlier if it was an AEA4440 or other High Torque compressor you would need a Supco SS-410 they are made for high torque compressors to get you out of a bind until you can return with OEM...

Hope this Helps
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Post Likes
    Not sure of the model # for the first I mentioned. I recall it was in a Bev Air and it was a Embraco likely 1/3hp. The 2nd, Copeland AFE13CE-iaa 115v in a Traulsen freezer. In fact, I need to source this compressor this week and should probably do the cap tube while apart.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I've gone out, pried the old raggedy nasty Supco 3-in-1 out of the congealed fryer grease and roach ****, install a new 3-in-1 and the compressor took right off again.

There no pattern or coincidence to it all I don't think.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    I've also seen 3 in 1's on compressors that have been there for well over 12 years old and still working.

Only time I go back with the oem starting components is if its still under warranty.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I've gone out, pried the old raggedy nasty Supco 3-in-1 out of the congealed fryer grease and roach ****, install a new 3-in-1 and the compressor took right off again.

There no pattern or coincidence to it all I don't think.

PHM
    -------

Yep what I should of said was I've seen 3 in 1's that are over 12 years old on 25 year old compressors.

Post Likes
    Ive seen one of the E super boosts on a old 1hp semi herm for a true up right freezer. The shelling was cracked open and full of baby cockroaches. electrical taped up to the comp's junction box. Still ran that way too! Little dive in mexi joint. It was horrifying in that kitchen tbh. We walked out and told them we didn't get involved with equipment not up to health code. Which was half true. Fell on a day i had an apprentice doing a ride along too. Guy was questioning his life choices after that. haha

They ended up closing down a year later. go figure. The little boost made it through for god knows how many years tho. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in