+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supco hard start kits

Post Likes

supco hard start kits

I don't know the exact part numbers but supco makes these little hard start kits 1/4-1/3 hp and 1/2hp. power your 110 vac through the 2 blacks and common is black start is white and run is red. for small reach in compressors. ive used them for years works good but recently the last 2 that I used was the 1/4-1/3 hp for a 1/3 hp compressor. compressor is amping within compressors name plate rla. but overload in hard start kit still overloads after running for about 5 mins monitor amps they don't spike up or nothing odd like that, no my voltage doesn't drop out of no where. I feel since its a 1/4 - 1/3 and its a 1/3rd hp comp. its on the high end and the overload is not strong enough. ive bypassed overload in the kit to make sure compressor runs good and it does. I think these things should have an amp rating along with hp rating. im going to find a supco tech support number and call ato find out whats the rla max for these start kits but im wondering if others run into this issue or do they know the answer to my question??????????????

Post Likes
    What you are looking for is a RCO210. It is good for 1/2 horsepower or 13.3 RLA. What you have in there now sounds like a RCO410, which is rated for 7.5 amps. You can find this info on page 58 of Supco's catalog.

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/200...0for%20Web.pdf

Post Likes
    Why are you calling this a hard start kit? Isn't this part simply a replacement for the OE start kit? I thought a hard start kit would add a start cap into the circuit along with the OE parts.

Post Likes
    Start cap is built into it... I believe.

Post Likes
    I had this same problem yesterday with a 1/3 hp supco 3 in one start kit. I narrowed the problem down to the ambient temp around the condensing unit being too high.. 95 f .. Got the space temp down to 75 and wouldn't you know the unit works fine now..

Post Likes
    imagine that!
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    Was that 1/3hp compressor a AEA440YXA? I had contacted supco before about this model number compressor and using the 1/4 to 1/3 3 in 1. They told me to use the 1/2hp 3 in1 for that compressor. Been doing it ever since and haven't had any problems.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Post Likes
    Had same problem. Solution was to stock tecumseh 1/4 and 1/3 hp relays and overloads in vans(aea4440 and 4430 are the most common compressor to run into) and use 3 in 1 until we could get factory start components for other brands/hp compressors.

Post Likes
    I appreciate everyones replies to my post. the compressor I was working on the other day was an AE4440YS yes I typed it right. it was my first time seeing this model the guy at the local supply house kept telling me im wrong lol until I told him to look it up!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Why are you calling this a hard start kit? Isn't this part simply a replacement for the OE start kit? I thought a hard start kit would add a start cap into the circuit along with the OE parts.
    I guees im used to calling them hard start kits, but yeah they have a start cap built in but that doesn't give me the right to call it a hard start kit because the unit in normal conditions has a start capacitor so yeah I should be calling it a start kit. ima read the package to see the actual name just curious.

Post Likes
    The brand name is 3-in-1, but then Freon is a brand name too. I followed your train of thought with hard-start kit. I suppose you could say self-contained-universal-starting-component-accessory-with-inherent-thermal-overload-protection, but I'll probably stick with 3-in-1.

Post Likes

Cool Nomenclature!!

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    What you are looking for is a RCO-210.

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/200...0for%20Web.pdf
    RelayCapacitorOverload-210.

Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    In my past in the residential appliance world we called that a "dynamite stick" because they were guaranteed to "blow up" your compressor. But that's putting a 1/4 hp kit on like a 1/20th hp compressor. Residential don't have start capacitors, they have run caps sometimes but no starts.

This could be the start of a great discussion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CFESAmasterEGSR View Post
    In my past in the residential appliance world we called that a "dynamite stick" because they were guaranteed to "blow up" your compressor. But that's putting a 1/4 hp kit on like a 1/20th hp compressor. Residential don't have start capacitors, they have run caps sometimes but no starts.

This could be the start of a great discussion.
    i was thinking the same thing, never seen a start cap on resi stuff. Seen the little black run caps. but ya throw a 3 in 1 on it and away she goes.

Post Likes
    I have found that the Tecumseh compressors require a larger 3-n-1 than what the hp of the compressor hp. I simply love hooking one up and then "pop" goes the windings...lol They actual do make one for 220V as well, had a compressor with bad relay and no parts in town. After leaving them down for a day i had to stock one on van for next time the factory parts went out.

Post Likes
    Side question. Do you guys use the Turbo 200 capacitors or the new diverstech capacitor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaJon View Post
    Side question. Do you guys use the Turbo 200 capacitors or the new diverstech capacitor?
    Let's see.... American Radionics or the brand that is too ashamed to even print made in china on the box.....

Turbo gets the job every time I need one in a pinch. Even have the big series for those Tranes that need an 80MFD. Diversitech won't even fit in most of the control sections of condensing units anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaJon View Post
    I have always stocked a large variety of caps. There cheap and i dont understand the whole one size fits all huge expensive cap thing. If i run low on caps i just parallel a couple or series them and use 2. Still less expensive using 2 than those huge turbo's.

Post Likes
    Johnq

I'm kinda with you. Like $ 5-8 each, the right value and shape are easier to mount anyway.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

If you are trying to put a 3 & 1 0n a Tecumseh AEA4440 The RCOs will not work because that is a high torque compressor you need to get the Supco SS-410 3 &1 as they are made for high torque compressors and then it's recommended to install the proper start components when you can get them... But the SS-410 will work to get you out of the woods...

Hope this helps...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in