Thread: Web access

Web access

I have a customer who has 90% Siemens and 10% Metasys in 1 bldg
    They dial up Metasys remotely to view important points.
    No Siemens dial up.
    They want to access Metasys and possibly Siemens over the Web
    but IT don't want us the their network.
    What are my options?

Have a completely separate phone (or cable line) installed with DSL. That way IT has nothing to do with it.

In high security situations we have had them setup a virtual Lan for the controls. If the IT department is refusing to be of any help they are probably too ignorant or lazy to do this for you…assuming they have equipment capable of this. Then your only choice is going to be the above, install your own network with an internet connection.

Most of the time I find IT to be helpful if you understand their lingo, which usually helps take down the initial barriers. None the less the world is full of jerks. If they want to cough up the extra cash for a separate network and monthly connection fees, take their money and leave it be.

The trick is, to be a good "salesman", even if you really dont know as much or more then them about their network, etc... Take an hour or two and read about it, learn the buzz words, learn to speak at or above their level of knowledge. The more you show you know what your talking about, the more receptive they will be. I have been offered a few IT jobs while talking to IT managers on some sites. Lord knows I am an not as qualified as they think I am, but it gets the job done with no harm or foul to anyone. As long as you have the best intentions of the actual client, you are only doing them a good service by being this "salesman".
    “It is impossible for one to learn what one thinks they already know"

typical

Mechanic: "I'm sorry Mr. IT manager, but we cannot fix your heating problem"
    IT Guy: "But it's too hot in here, my servers will melt!"
    Mechanic: "I'm sorry, but we were not allowed to control the heat in your room."
    IT Guy: "Why not?! What bumbling idiot wouldn't allow you to control my air-conditioning!? Don't you know that god himself vacations in my server rooms?! Tell me this idiots name now young man!"
    Mechanic: "It was you sir."

Typical IT guys..I wonder who really runs some companies. Aren't IT people paid to SUPPORT the people? Best of luck..

poochz
    There is a way that seems good to man, but in the end leads to death.

If you use metasys as a front end and you have it installed on workstation with windows xp OS you can use Windows remote desktop over internet. I have tried it and works..

Another way is an application of remote managment (pc anyware f.e.).Also worked with that both dial up and dsl connection.

Ask IT people to secure links..

Quote Originally Posted by d_d_c_jci View Post
    I have a customer who has 90% Siemens and 10% Metasys in 1 bldg
    They dial up Metasys remotely to view important points.
    No Siemens dial up.
    They want to access Metasys and possibly Siemens over the Web
    but IT don't want us the their network.
    What are my options?

= 100% junk!

Get a plunger.

Paying for a DSL line has worked for us with our customers in the Banking industry.

Have you asked them about assigning you a DMZ or allowing you access to the router/gateway outside their company firewall? Perhaps if you could state IT's objections I could be more specific.

Say what? Which part? What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by kwillmech View Post
    = 100% junk!

Get a plunger.
    Dingman from Iowa~
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Dingman's webpage, featuring the Ding_Z

Quote Originally Posted by dingman View Post
    Say what? Which part? What do you mean?
    Victim of convenience.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kwillmech View Post
    Victim of convenience.
    I'll think on that. Thanks.
    Dingman from Iowa~
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Dingman's webpage, featuring the Ding_Z

Quote Originally Posted by dingman View Post
    I'll think on that. Thanks.
    Taking cheap shots at the competition when I can.

I'd tell the person you are dealing with that it seems like his IT department is unable to work with the products you have available to work within their network.

Give the customer two quotes, one within the network and one "on your own".

Let the owner/owner rep decide if they want to slap the IT department's wrist or not.

I say this with the understanding you do have knowledge of the routing/server package you are recommending and are able to utilize energy management techniques. All you can do is state your case as a problem solver. It's up to the owner to decide what he wants to do.

If you want to throw a jab be understanding with the customer and say you understand that an IT department is generally considered a cost center and generates no revenue. But, you are proposing utilizing the IT infrastructure by connecting up various sites and have the ability to produce actual directly identified cost savings via energy management.

Therefore, although IT departments are generally perceived as cost centers and may have some indirect profitability, you are proposing an identifiable direct profitability generating a bottom line number. It will be obvious to point out that the number is bigger working within the existing infrastructure.

It's all about dollars and sense. Give your owner/rep some bullets with his gun and point him in the direction he has to shoot.
    Last edited by sysint; 02-24-2007 at 06:53 AM.