Thread: Inducer motor noise opinions please

Post Likes

Inducer motor noise opinions please

I have a brand new furnace that makes a horrible noise. After 19 man hours AND a replacement, I still have this noise. They tell me it's the best they can do.

My question is, does it sound normal to you all? I've poked around here a bit and found a reference to the noise but this seems excessive to me.

http://youtu.be/Z51MLeizlhw

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Are you speaking about the ticking/splashing noise, or the wizzing/buzzing noise. I cant tell if the ticking/splashing is from the furnace or from off camera but that sounds to me like a drainage issue. Either the trap isnt deep enough, or the pitch of the furnace is off, or the furnace hasn't run in some time and the trap has gone dry. The wizzing/buzzing noise sound pretty normal to me but listening to it through a video can be misleading.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply 5thRoot.

It's the ticking/splashing noise that bothers me. I could live with it - I guess - but the fact that it affects the speed of the motor on the louder/bigger ticks tells me I'm going to have problems down the road. Plus I just don't think it's made to make that noise.

It's level and it's draining. The only noise that isn't furnace related is the thump at about the 3:08 mark. The video accentuates the noise a little - especially if you crank the volume enough to hear the initial splashing. I guess a good way to compare volumes is knowing what burner ignition and the blower kicking in normally sounds like. (The blower is -12% factory setting fwiw)

Is it possible that there's something wrong with two furnaces or could it be a simple installation problem they have overlooked? The manufacture doesn't do email so I can't even send them a link to the video. They just call the regional rep who will call the dealer again. Frankly, I can't afford to take any more time off of work while the Premier Dealer messes around.

Sorry if I'm whining. It's just frustrating. I came here for unbiased opinion, hoping someone would say yeah, we had that problem. Tell them to check....

Post Likes
    sounds like a water issue, post pics of the venting and drain coming off unit.

Post Likes
    The Lennox furnaces I have serviced have a problem with draining from the offset rubber boot between the inducer and the vent pipe. Check the drain fitting at the bottom of the rubber boot. It just pulls out of the boot. I have often found that to be restricted by anything that falls down the exhaust pipe. When there is a restriction the water does not drain fast enough and it collects in the bottom of the inducer housing. That may explain why a new inducer has the same problem except for when it was brand new and no water had collected in it yet.

That does not sound like water to me, though the video sound quality may be misleading me.

In any event that is NOT the normal sound of a draft inducer.

When "they" say that is the best "they" can do, is that your contractor or Lennox? A Lennox dealer should be able to bring in a Lennox tech rep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    The Lennox furnaces I have serviced have a problem with draining from the offset rubber boot between the inducer and the vent pipe. Check the drain fitting at the bottom of the rubber boot. It just pulls out of the boot. I have often found that to be restricted by anything that falls down the exhaust pipe. When there is a restriction the water does not drain fast enough and it collects in the bottom of the inducer housing. That may explain why a new inducer has the same problem except for when it was brand new and no water had collected in it yet.

That does not sound like water to me, though the video sound quality may be misleading me.

In any event that is NOT the normal sound of a draft inducer.

When "they" say that is the best "they" can do, is that your contractor or Lennox? A Lennox dealer should be able to bring in a Lennox tech rep.
    The furnace you're talking about is the g26/g32 series. It's a completely different and inferior design to this EL296.

What i think you're hearing is little drops of water fall down the vent pipe and hit the inducer impeller, it'll happen if the furnace has been short cycled a lot.
    Unless it becomes worse, or the furnace isn't vented properly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Id be more interested to know why they needed to add an extra ground wire to the burner box on a brand new furnace.

Post Likes
    I don't know what else to say. Ummm, there was a PVC cement drip I thought might be the problem. They replaced the whole thing. The factory rep was here before that and I expect a call from someone tomorrow. Any new ideas would be helpful. I just want the quality furnace I anticipated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    You stated the furnace is level. Read the installation instructions and see if it's supposed to be level. That water splash noise is not normal.

Post Likes
    Well, the book says "Unit may be positioned from level to 1/2" toward the front to aid in draining."

I'll mention that to them. Thanks guys.

Post Likes
    have the drains redone, drain size should never be reduced and drain from evap coil should not be tied into furnace drain the way it is.

what size furnace is it and how far are the vent pipes running? how many elbows in venting?

Post Likes
    Wow, I see at least 1 elbow that is completely unnessesary. Ummm you can roll the pipe to get the offset need on both vents withou uses an extra 90.

An uncased coil in a offset transition almost 2' above the furnace. Huh. I thought you always want that symetrical if possible so you don't get more airflow across on part of the coil, so the coil temps are even. Looks like they saved a little money not replacing the coil and using a case coil mounted directly on the furnace.

Post Likes
    Pictured are:
    3 - 45s
    2 - 90s
    Then there is a 17' straight run sloped to the furnace.
    Outside there is
    1 - 45
    3 - 90s
    1-1/2" termination

The size is 70.

The drain seems capable of handling the flow. It's not like it's backing up. The AC lines were like that to begin with. Why they are right next to each other I have no clue. What's a uncased coil in a offset transition?

The installer has decided to cut his losses and offered me a full refund (arrrgh) so tomorrow I have another Premier Dealer coming to take a look. Unbelievable eh?

This is an excellent forum BTW. Much appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by uqme2 View Post
    Pictured are:
    3 - 45s
    2 - 90s
    Then there is a 17' straight run sloped to the furnace.
    Outside there is
    1 - 45
    3 - 90s
    1-1/2" termination

The size is 70.

The drain seems capable of handling the flow. It's not like it's backing up. The AC lines were like that to begin with. Why they are right next to each other I have no clue. What's a uncased coil in a offset transition?

The installer has decided to cut his losses and offered me a full refund (arrrgh) so tomorrow I have another Premier Dealer coming to take a look. Unbelievable eh?

This is an excellent forum BTW. Much appreciated.
    So the installer is refunding you all the labor for the install? And is washing his hand's of it?

Post Likes
    Ummm, I don't know what your rules are here but yes. This was the response to the email I sent that included a link to the video I also posted here.

"The last two installers at your home, (names) both were very clear that every sound coming from the furnace is what happens on virtually every installation. The (manufacturer) field representative that came out before the change thought the old furnace was performing the way it was designed.

Please advise if you would like the product removed and refunded."

Seems pretty clear to me. He did mention that as an option last time they were here. I get nowhere with manufacturer. They just call the field rep and he calls the dealer.

I'm perfectly happy to be rid of it. Problem is I had a working +90 furnace to begin with that didn't do that. Is there any salvage value to the old ones? Like I said, I got a guy coming tomorrow. I explained the situation and he is familiar with this particular furnace and also sells another brand. I'll see what he thinks. I feel very awkward about that, but, what I didn't tell them was my wife wants a new AC anyway so - we'll see what he says about the furnace first.

I can understand not wanting a what, 'discriminating' customer? What I'll never understand is the lack of pride in workmanship and/or the product you sell to people. Granted, they seemingly did do their best.

I'm just glad that you guys agree it shouldn't do that and I do appreciate your efforts. I just don't know what else to do at this point. In a perfect world, I'd love to have my old furnace back but some other guys hauled it away and they weren't gentle with it plus that was nearly two months ago.

Post Likes
    Take the refund.

Post Likes
    if that dealer is getting those noises from every one of those furnaces he is installing all of them WRONG

you don't say where your located but i can't believe a Lennox FSR would approve that job.
    drains piped that way would never be anything but a problem.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-10-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Post Likes
    17Esprint

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    The sound quality on the video isn't very good but I can tell you from doing countless startups on EL296 units that that ticking sound is not normal operation. Its hard to diagnose something from a video but it sounds to me like there is something in the inducer fan not sure if it is water in the bottom of the housing or some kind of debris in the housing. The only thing I can say for sure without being there is that is not a normal sound for an EL296 inducer fan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in