Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Alternate thought: Folks who buy equipment on internet sites... will now be paying sales tax...
    As they should have all along.

If you don't like sales tax then move to abolish it at the checkstands first.

Complaining about losing a tax free status on the internet makes one no different than someone who cries about losing their welfare freebie.

As a whole, I am against the internet sales tax. I think we pay enough in taxes already. The argument that brick and mortar stores suffer does not take into account the fact that you don't have to pay to have the items shipped from a retail store down the street. The tax isn't the big difference in why people order online, it's the convenience and generally reduced item cost.

What is the reason we pay sales taxes within our community and/or state? It is (supposedly) for the services provided that allow that transaction to take place which generally benefit both the buyer and the seller such as a safe, secure area in which to conduct business. If I am a business selling products online I am not benefiting from the taxes that a particular state and local government collects. They are not keeping my business safe. They are maintaining roads which allow me to ship my product to the customer but the freight company which delivers the product is paying for those roads with their fuel taxes and I or my customer am paying the freight company in shipping charges.

Furthermore, the Internet Sales tax law that is currently in the Senate would base the sales tax on the location of the customer and not the location of the seller. I see serious problems with such a system. According to the Tax Foundation, there are 9,646 tax jurisdictions in the United States. While being a business selling over $1,000,000 may sound like a lot trying to properly collect for each of these regions would be a huge burden. If on the other hand we based the tax on the location of the seller then the seller would only have to deal with the 1 jurisdiction that they are based out of. This also seems more realistic since if you are selling this much product then your home state is likely providing services to your business that allow you to operate effectively.

Some people will cry foul that this will encourage companies to form only in (or move to) those states with low (or no) sales tax. This is likely true. Good. Maybe it will encourage states with ridiculous tax rates to be more competitive. Also, large companies like Amazon have distribution points located across the US. If an internet sales tax law was passed by Congress and assuming the tax was based on the location of the business then the tax could be collected based on the distribution location. No company would locate in only 1 or 2 states just because it would be a distribution nightmare and any tax savings would be offset by increased shipping costs.

So, I am against the internet tax. However, if we are to tax internet purchases it should be limited to collecting it for the state in which the business or distribution point is located. The bureaucracy required to collect sales taxes based on the customers location would be so costly as to require companies to hire professionals just to deal with collecting sales tax.
    PA087129

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post

Complaining about losing a tax free status on the internet makes one no different than someone who cries about losing their welfare freebie.
    If I go to Delaware to buy something and bring it into Maryland (either myself or have it shipped) I pay no sales tax... and it's completely legal. Explain how this is different than buying something online and having it shipped to my home. The fact that I didn't drive an hour away?
    PA087129

Level the playing field. Tax it all.
    I hate wasteful government spending and loathe taxes. That being said, I loath special exemptions, they shift costs to a different segment of society. What is unseen? Who picks up the tab? Not the ones getting the exemptions. Sure you get lower prices due to the internet exemption but who picks up the tab locally for the decreased tax revenue? You do, through increases in local taxes. Your local economy through brick and mortar stores pay it by decreasing the profit margin to compete when they can and closing when they can't. Some convert to a pure internet company when they can and only only pay taxes on local sales.

Level the field and tax them all.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Who is saying brick and mortar stores can't have internet sites?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jbcrane View Post
    Who is saying brick and mortar stores can't have internet sites?
    Who is saying we should screw the brick and mortar stores that do not have internet sales?

Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    Level the playing field. Tax it all.
    I hate wasteful government spending and loathe taxes. That being said, I loath special exemptions, they shift costs to a different segment of society. What is unseen? Who picks up the tab? Not the ones getting the exemptions. Sure you get lower prices due to the internet exemption but who picks up the tab locally for the decreased tax revenue? You do, through increases in local taxes. Your local economy through brick and mortar stores pay it by decreasing the profit margin to compete when they can and closing when they can't. Some convert to a pure internet company when they can and only only pay taxes on local sales.

Level the field and tax them all.
    Well said.

I beg to differ...I actually worked for the money I'm spending online...which was taxed before I received it...by multiple levels of government...

The problem we have here is that the government doesn't respect the average person enough to allow him/her to make a conscious decision to monetarily support it... However, it's not without good reason considering I don't know anyone that would actually pay them based on their current level of performance...

America would be a very interesting place if there was a true market for goods, services, and government... Oh wait, isn't that what the States are for? Silly me, I keep forgetting they exist...

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I think where the buyer lives is what determines the tax. Also the seller has to be doing I believe over a million in sales to be effected by the law. This would certainly include big companies like Amazon. Personally I hate the law. But I understand that it is probably fair. Originally the internet was very small and the tax free advantage helped them grow. Now that they are beyond huge its probably fair that they pay their share. I just wish for once the government wouldn't piss whatever they get away.
    You are totally missing the point of the Internet...we are attempting to starve the bastards out...

Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    I beg to differ...I actually worked for the money I'm spending online...
    Next time you book a room on the internet tell them you won't pay the tax on it because you are booking it on the internet.

Next time you book a room on the internet tell them you won't pay the tax on it because you are booking it on the internet.
    Ok

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234