Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Telephone Controlled Thermostat

I am considering getting this telephone controlled thermostat for my beach home.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with such a device. I would find it helpful to be able to have the heat or AC come one prior to my arrival by calling into the thermostat and having the temperature set to a comfortable level. I assume that I will have to run another 2 conductor wire behind the wall to the thermostat to connect to the phone line.

Any comments or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

I service several beach homes(in Florida) that have this type of control for multi unit installs. Not as simple as running a phone line. I have seen 3 or 4 different systems, most work well if wired properly. Usually the controls are installed by alarm people. Most of us(HVAC Contractors) don't install these, license and insurance conflicts. Make sure you give your HVAC servicer override codes.

I have this one on my beach place, and love it:

http://www.scillc.com/cem%20series.htm

Upside, inexpensive and works well.
    Downside, only one zone.

Better get a qualified telephone repair serviceman to put that in for you.

The telephone connection is utterly a piece of cake. That's not should worry most installers. It's the connection to the HVAC equipment that'll get you in trouble!

I've considered getting one for my beach house

BUT

I'm not that sorry, YET, that I can't wait until I get there to turn it to a more comfortable setting.

NO...........I never turn the system off.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Neither do I, but it's sure nice to have it at the right temperature when I get there, and to be able to call it up to make sure it's still working, and the temperature is where it belongs. Especially in the winter, THIS winter!

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    I've considered getting one for my beach house

BUT

I'm not that sorry, YET, that I can't wait until I get there to turn it to a more comfortable setting.

NO...........I never turn the system off.

Quote Originally Posted by kuryakin View Post
    I have this one on my beach place, and love it:

http://www.scillc.com/cem%20series.htm

Upside, inexpensive and works well.
    Downside, only one zone.

That was the thermostat that I was considering. I see that it need a 24v common wire. The existing thermostat only has four wires. I assume I need to run another wire from the furnance to the thermostat for the 24volt. If this is so maybe it would be best to get an HVAC contractor involved.

Beach House

Check in to the Honeywell IAQ Thermostat. It is a touch screen thermostat with alot of wonderful options.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Check in to the Honeywell IAQ Thermostat. It is a touch screen thermostat with alot of wonderful options.
    Does it come with a telephone feature?

These are great! I have installed tons of them in beach and summer homes. Easy to install, any hvac contractor should be able to take care of you for a small charge. Buy your own stat and have a company install it.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

phone access

Yes the Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ Thermostat can be connected with the phone access module. Check out www.customer.honeywell.com and click on the Vision Pro IAQ Thermostat. Alot of great information on the thermostat also you can download manuals on the thermostat there.

Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ

Redtundra,
    The Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ Thermostat Operates with just 3 wires. This thermostat communicates with a control panel that runs the system.
    Last edited by fixer; 02-22-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast