Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Bill me later is 6 months same as cash.
    X2 started using in last winter win i bid on something on ebay to be a jerk and i won .

    used it a few times since. Allows me to keep some money in the bank incase something comes up.
    Then every paycheck i go and put a payment on it the balance. Should have it knocked out in a month or less. Sooner if i get my taxes back soon.

    no 19.9% **** i hate interest. that is why i pay bills in full that interest will be added to.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fremont, Indiana
    Posts
    1,426
    I have both fp meters!
    Haven't utilized them to this point as of yet. Thanks for sharing Brent!

    sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,990
    Good post brent thanks.. Question for the residential guys. I thought you needed x amount of feet of straight duct before the area you are taking your velocity measurements. ( at least thats what I thought I read here awhile ago). How are you guys doing that in a residential application? OR are we just taking the measurement and calling it good enough?

    Thanks
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Good post brent thanks.. Question for the residential guys. I thought you needed x amount of feet of straight duct before the area you are taking your velocity measurements. ( at least thats what I thought I read here awhile ago). How are you guys doing that in a residential application? OR are we just taking the measurement and calling it good enough?

    Thanks
    This^^^^


    Most of the residential units I come across have at best a 4 foot ductboard return plenum with 2 or more flex tapped into it. Not sure how one could get an accurate reading

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,408
    It is best to get readings in a 4 or 5 foot straight run of hard return (round or square). But in my experiences, I have been able to get pretty good results by doing a very detailed traverse in the return plenum.

    Use the return only. The air is much less turbulent than the supply and makes for better readings.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    It is best to get readings in a 4 or 5 foot straight run of hard return (round or square). But in my experiences, I have been able to get pretty good results by doing a very detailed traverse in the return plenum.

    Use the return only. The air is much less turbulent than the supply and makes for better readings.
    Ok I have another question..

    Have you taken many measurements in both supply and return on the same system to compare? I am curious of the results. What was the difference and how much?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Ok I have another question..

    Have you taken many measurements in both supply and return on the same system to compare? I am curious of the results. What was the difference and how much?
    Yes.

    The readings in the supply were erratic and inconsistant.

    The readings in the return were easily duplicated and each measurement would be within 100 CFM of the others.

    I've also checked numbers verses fan curves and a few Inifinty controllers and the STA2 is pretty dog gone close.

  8. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Bill me later is 6 months same as cash.
    Just signed up for it too. Gonna have a "QVC" moment for about an hour tomorrow lol!

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Good post brent thanks.. Question for the residential guys. I thought you needed x amount of feet of straight duct before the area you are taking your velocity measurements. ( at least thats what I thought I read here awhile ago). How are you guys doing that in a residential application? OR are we just taking the measurement and calling it good enough?

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DFanatic View Post
    This^^^^


    Most of the residential units I come across have at best a 4 foot ductboard return plenum with 2 or more flex tapped into it. Not sure how one could get an accurate reading
    That's one of the reasons I never ponied up the big bucks to pick up a Velocicalc, or Testo 435 kit.
    The way systems are installed in my area, it just didn't make any sense to spend that kind of money on something that may only get me within 10-20% accuracy on over half the systems I encounter.
    Now that we have decent lower cost airflow test instruments available, the expense is more justifiable.
    It doesn't hurt so much if a <$150 accessory head doesn't prove to be useful much of the time, vs. the rectal burning sensation of finding out a $1500 to $2500 instrument doesn't play well with the garbage you work on.

    Of course, being able to measure the total airflow through the system to within 10% or so, or take any airflow measurements whatsoever, even just static pressure readings, is far superior to what >90% of my competition is capable of.
    Other than the occasional hole poked in something to stick a thermocouple through, I've yet to find a single test hole drilled in a residential system that wasn't drilled by me, or someone I trained...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    605
    Any word on if a wireless sta2 is coming out anytime soon? That's one if my next purchases but with my luck the wireless version would come out a month later.

  11. #24
    I know the duct systems in my area are for sh!t and it was something we lived with and could do very little about. 1) Cause we could not quantify the problem airflow to our customer for lack of affordable instruments

    2) Customer apathy...that is "It's good enough for me".

    Show the apathetic customer his two three ton CU is only putting out 27500 BTUS and a calculated EER (courtesy of a Nav 51) you're going to change some minds and convert some crummy systems to good profit.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    605
    I agree. That's why I'm looking to improve all my airflow tools.

    Oh and btw another good post Brent.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That's one of the reasons I never ponied up the big bucks to pick up a Velocicalc, or Testo 435 kit.
    The way systems are installed in my area, it just didn't make any sense to spend that kind of money on something that may only get me within 10-20% accuracy on over half the systems I encounter.
    Now that we have decent lower cost airflow test instruments available, the expense is more justifiable.
    It doesn't hurt so much if a <$150 accessory head doesn't prove to be useful much of the time, vs. the rectal burning sensation of finding out a $1500 to $2500 instrument doesn't play well with the garbage you work on.

    Of course, being able to measure the total airflow through the system to within 10% or so, or take any airflow measurements whatsoever, even just static pressure readings, is far superior to what >90% of my competition is capable of.
    Other than the occasional hole poked in something to stick a thermocouple through, I've yet to find a single test hole drilled in a residential system that wasn't drilled by me, or someone I trained...
    The installers/techs in my area that I come behind must be trained at the same place

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event