Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    thats one thing i never understood , why people think they NEED healthcare plans.

How many times have you , or your friends been hospitalized ?

Me , one time for 10 stitches in my arm.

Costed me 800 bucks after the cash discounts

Other than that , probly been to the doctor 3 times for colds that wouldnt go away and i needed a little penicillin 80 bucks each trip

So I've spent about 1000 dollars in 44 years , how about ya'll
    Good question... why DO folks think they HAVE to have health insurance?

Some possible answers:
    1) The system has created an immense amount of FEAR about what could happen...
    2) Some folks just want guaranteed security... they do not care what they give away for it...
    3) Some folks want to be self-destructive with their personal hygiene (how they take care of themselves), and have someone else pay for it...
    4) Maybe there are still folks who truly believe (naively) there IS a free lunch... we generally call these folks liberals... <grin>

Regardless... Do folks NEED total coverage medical insurance? IMO no.
    What is a good idea IMO is major/catastrophic... That pays if one breaks a leg, is in an accident, has a heart attack, etc. But does not pay for common colds, flu, glasses, cosmetic dentistry, etc.

Healthcare is NOT a right... it is to be paid for... like all else in life. And as such, the person seeking healthcare needs to make some decisions as to what they choose to buy... with the $$$ they have to buy it. No different than the house you live in, the car you drive, the clothes you wear, and the TV in your home. Take away the responsibility part... and the system gets abused.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Good question... why DO folks think they HAVE to have health insurance?

Some possible answers:
    1) The system has created an immense amount of FEAR about what could happen...
    No. People can and do lose everything they ever worked for over one trip to the hospital.

2) Some folks just want guaranteed security... they do not care what they give away for it...
    We do care what we pay for it...that's the whole point.

3) Some folks want to be self-destructive with their personal hygiene (how they take care of themselves), and have someone else pay for it...
    Diet and exercise don't always prevent catastrophic illness and injury.

4) Maybe there are still folks who truly believe (naively) there IS a free lunch... we generally call these folks liberals... <grin>
    Anyone who thinks Obamacare is free is probably below the poverty line and will continue to get free healthcare.

Regardless... Do folks NEED total coverage medical insurance? IMO no.
    What is a good idea IMO is major/catastrophic...
    It isn't as cheap as you might think. A $10,000 deductible cost me about $300/mo. And after the insurance companies finish colluding with Obama it will be $600/mo.

Snapper. Read the link to Forbes that breaks down where the individual mandate actually originated. Hint, it was not Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    No. People can and do lose everything they ever worked for over one trip to the hospital.

We do care what we pay for it...that's the whole point.

Diet and exercise don't always prevent catastrophic illness and injury.

Anyone who thinks Obamacare is free is probably below the poverty line and will continue to get free healthcare.

It isn't as cheap as you might think. A $10,000 deductible cost me about $300/mo. And after the insurance companies finish colluding with Obama it will be $600/mo.
    Remember brain, that medical prices are already artificially inflated due to employer provided healthcare insurance. There has been no market pressures on the health care industry, to keep the prices in check for decades. You actually have to go back to the HMO act or even ww2 to find when the industry competed on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Remember brian, that medical prices are already artificially inflated due to employer provided healthcare insurance.
    Could you briefly explain that please? I was always under the impression that larger employers pay the least for a policy. Individuals paying the most.

thats one thing i never understood , why people think they NEED healthcare plans.

How many times have you , or your friends been hospitalized ?

Me , one time for 10 stitches in my arm.

Costed me 800 bucks after the cash discounts

Other than that , probly been to the doctor 3 times for colds that wouldnt go away and i needed a little penicillin 80 bucks each trip

So I've spent about 1000 dollars in 44 years , how about ya'll
    Some people, not me, simply have medical issues. My wife in one year 2.5 million and still she didn't make it.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Just quit your job ge ton the dole and receive free health care , why pay for anything. Me I like to be protected so I pay thank you very much.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Could you briefly explain that please? I was always under the impression that larger employers pay the least for a policy. Individuals paying the most.
    The consumer, aka patient, is isolated from the true cost of the procedure by two middlemen, the employer and insurance company. This has allowed doctors, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies to increase their rates as they see fit, independently of what people are willing to pay. The average person could not afford to pay what the hospitals would like to charge and is a massive check on prices rising, and will even force prices down due to competition. People do not consider price when they are looking for a doctor because they don't have to. Also doctors don't care if they charge an insurance company $30,000 for a test that cost $5,000 because they know the insurance company can afford it where a normal person can not.

If you want to see where market forces are actually working in the health care industry look at lasik eye surgery. It's not covered by most insurance companies and the cost drops every year.

That is very brief and it's much more involved, I did not touch on the esculationing administrators at the hospitals and insurance companies. The true cost of health care is much smaller than it looks when you get rid of the cost of managing insurance plans. There are people who all they do is shuffle paper work around between doctors and insurance companies. My sister is one of them.

A true free market approach to healthcare would be to eliminate healthcare insurance in it's current form, implement catastrophic insurance policies, and tax free health savings accounts to deal with annual check ups, tests and non-life threatening illness. I would prefer a local approach to deal with the needy because the small a program it is the less prone to corruption it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bb View Post
    Some people, not me, simply have medical issues. My wife in one year 2.5 million and still she didn't make it.
    Yea its sad isnt it , some people live many many years with No issues, until natural old age problems set in ... but then others come down with diseases and bad ass bacterias or the C word . The man upstairs sure has a cruel sense of humor at times ...

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    The consumer, aka patient, is isolated from the true cost of the procedure by two middlemen, the employer and insurance company. This has allowed doctors, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies to increase their rates as they see fit, independently of what people are willing to pay. The average person could not afford to pay what the hospitals would like to charge and is a massive check on prices rising, and will even force prices down due to competition. People do not consider price when they are looking for a doctor because they don't have to. Also doctors don't care if they charge an insurance company $30,000 for a test that cost $5,000 because they know the insurance company can afford it where a normal person can not.

If you want to see where market forces are actually working in the health care industry look at lasik eye surgery. It's not covered by most insurance companies and the cost drops every year.

That is very brief and it's much more involved, I did not touch on the esculationing administrators at the hospitals and insurance companies. The true cost of health care is much smaller than it looks when you get rid of the cost of managing insurance plans. There are people who all they do is shuffle paper work around between doctors and insurance companies. My sister is one of them.

A true free market approach to healthcare would be to eliminate healthcare insurance in it's current form, implement catastrophic insurance policies, and tax free health savings accounts to deal with annual check ups, tests and non-life threatening illness. I would prefer a local approach to deal with the needy because the small a program it is the less prone to corruption it is.
    The reason insurance companies have an Over Abundance of money laying around is because they have scared each and every american into believing they Have to Have insurance , so much that people will actually stay at a job they absolutely Hate for fear of losing their insur. Really ?? Then if they do leave , they are talked into buying Cobra plans until they get another job. What a friggin gimmick.

You dont have a job , but you are going to pay 500 a month for something you probly only used a few times because you got the sniffles , or a fever from the common flu bug

The reason insurance companies have an Over Abundance of money laying around is because they have scared each and every american into believing they Have to Have insurance , so much that people will actually stay at a job they absolutely Hate for fear of losing their insur. Really ?? Then if they do leave , they are talked into buying Cobra plans until they get another job. What a friggin gimmick.

You dont have a job , but you are going to pay 500 a month for something you probly only used a few times because you got the sniffles , or a fever from the common flu bug
    I agree, the true problem is the insurance companies act like prepayer system instead of insurance. Your car insurance does not cover oil changes or brake downs. Why should health insurance.

I say get rid of health insurance all together. If you need treatment, then you pay the doctor cash like in the old days. If you dont have money, then you should take better care of thyself or parish.

Benefits: this would separate the weak from the strong and decrease the amount of useless air sucking, food eating, space taking people in the world....ie. democrats.

The cost of health care would decrease dramatically by eliminating the middle men....both literally and figuratively.

Coffin sales would skyrocket.

Problem solved!

We dont need 20000 pages of BS passed before it is even read, all we need is the logic of coolwhip.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast