Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Gas Pack Question..

I have a 1996 Carrier Gas Pack and whenever the heat turns off it makes sort of an exploding sound. What could be causing this? I am bit concerned about the Heat Exchanger because I worked in HVAC in the parts side for almost six years and the unit that I have was very close to a recall that Carrier had. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

I would certainly have a technician look at it.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

I was going to have my husband check the heat exchanger for cracks or holes but Im not sure if that would cause the problem..Im just curious as to what it could be ya know?

Could be duct popping, heat exchanger expanding and contracting, delayed combustion. Unless your husband is a qualified technician I would strongly advise calling a pro. Your families life my depend on it.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Question Do you hear this noise when...

The burners shut off, or when the blower shuts off?

The gas isnt igniting properly need to get it checked by a qualified service tech asap.

Quote Originally Posted by trey r View Post
    Could be duct popping, heat exchanger expanding and contracting, delayed combustion. Unless your husband is a qualified technician I would strongly advise calling a pro. Your families life my depend on it.
    I understand, I was going to have him to look at that and then call one of the guys I used to work with who still does the work and have them come over and look at it as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4l530 View Post
    The burners shut off, or when the blower shuts off?
    It is when the blower turns off

That sounds more like duct poppage to me , or maybe something has come loose. Still, I'm glad to see that you will have a tech check it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4l530 View Post
    That sounds more like duct poppage to me , or maybe something has come loose. Still, I'm glad to see that you will have a tech check it.

Thanks for your help..I am going to call someone in the morning...its too late tonight =)

where is and how clean is the filter?

It's in the house and funny you asked that we just changed it and it was verryyy bad..we also ran it through numerous cycles and NO noise...could something that simple be the answer?

If the filter was plugged, the duct was having the sides sucked in causing the popping noise, probably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast