Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best book to read for someone in HVAC SALES

Hey everyone
    I am new to the HVAC world. The most knowledge I have is what I learned in the process of purchasing a new system for my own home. I recently got offered a position in HVAC sales with a local small business. I am interested in your recommendations for a book to help me learn the basics, and not so much the technical aspects, of HVAC. Some technical stuff is fine but I will never be installing or troubleshooting beyond just speculation. I'm picking up Modern Refrigeration and A/C today to check out. Is there anything else you would recommend?

Sharpen your closing skills that's where the money is.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I hope for you and your customers sake they put you in a truck to help with installs so you have a clue what your looking at and can see what needs to be fixed, not just price replacing boxes.

The sales lady is willing to ask questions but not willing to awnser them I think here tenure in hvac sales will be short, but she can still prove me wrong at this point by typing some sort of responses.

Lets turn this around...

How about if the 'sales person' (man or lady) were BUYING a system for their home... what would they look for to get the better (or best) value for their $$$?

Learn that... and the aspiring sales-person may succeed in a technical world.

Seriously... I am not being tacky... rather suggesting something:
    If someone were in my home and trying to 'hustle a sale'... this would tell me the boss of that co cares more about $$$ than my needs. Trust just went out the door... and the sales person (male or female) would be asked to follow trust... VALUE is what most of us believe HO's want... learn what is true value for the customer and I suspect you (the OP = original poster) will probably succeed.

Best way I know to be successful in sales is to NEVER forget to take care of the customer's best interests (in this case best value). The sales person who is genuine in this regard (and do not be fooled-- HO's CAN see the difference) will have SOOO many referrals they will not be able to get to all of them. Screw over just ONE person... and that bad rep will follow you for a L O N G time.
    Last edited by ga-hvac-tech; 05-06-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added thought
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

WIFM
    What's In it for Me.
    Building Value is the key you are very correct.

Quote Originally Posted by saleslady View Post
    Hey everyone
    I am new to the HVAC world. The most knowledge I have is what I learned in the process of purchasing a new system for my own home. I recently got offered a position in HVAC sales with a local small business. I am interested in your recommendations for a book to help me learn the basics, and not so much the technical aspects, of HVAC. Some technical stuff is fine but I will never be installing or troubleshooting beyond just speculation. I'm picking up Modern Refrigeration and A/C today to check out. Is there anything else you would recommend?
    You might like the book "Question Based Sales" by Thomas Freeze. That was my weakness, not asking enough questions.

OK, thanks for the responses. I have plenty of sales experience (although I do appreciate the advice). I have no HVAC experience. The person who is hiring me is planning on training me in what I need to know to perform the job. However, I would like to get ahead of the game and bone up on the basics of HVACR before heading out on the job. I will be a closer who will go out with the tech or after a technician has already been to the location to assess the needs of the homeowner.

thanks george2, i'll check that one out.

Good luck selling airtemp.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Good luck selling airtemp.
    I never mentioned that I was selling Airtemp on this thread, but I'm sure you can still post this negative comment on my introduction thread also.

The greatest salesman in the world by Og Mandino

I know how you feel, that's until I went to school and got my degree in business administration and environment control. Before that I worked in the industry for all four years of high school and college but I felt that I didn't have my mojo down pat. Mojo I mean what to look for how to explain it in plain term's and some other stuff .For example finding the find line between selling for $$ and selling because the customer needs it for a lack of a better way to put it.I don't think I can get much more technical then that but I'm sure you know sales. I could email a few things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast