Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

installing elbows in split ac connecting pipes

hi
    i saw split unit ac
    but the connecting pipes between indoor and outdoor unit are strange
    the technicians add elbows to the pipes to decorating the exterior of the building
    the image will explain more
    Name:  Snap_2013.03.28_14h31m08s_002.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  Snap_2013.03.28_14h31m56s_003.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  52.0 KB
    as i know the elbow will decrease the pressure of the refrigerant then increase load on the compressor
    then decrease the refrigeration effect
    im right or not ????????

you are right. each elbow has an equivelent length value.

I would think all the sand in the condenser would be your main concern, this is the same unit you showed us the electrical compartment? A longer lineset would mean use bigger piping to raise your btu's in this case it looks like a 25 ft lineset. You will drive yourself nuts worrying about a few elbows, what's the real issue the thing is not cooling?
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

It is common and accepted to braze in elbows to refrigeration piping. As long as the length between the condenser and evaporator isn't exceedingly long, it will cause no issues. It is sometimes a compromise between making the installation look nice (which they have attempted to do), and getting it to work the best. I would be more concerned with the loop at the bottom of the 2nd picture. This could cause oil return problems for the compressor. It should either be removed, or carefully bent over so that the loop is sideways instead of up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    A longer lineset would mean use bigger piping to raise your btu's in this case it looks like a 25 ft lineset.
    Are you sure about this. I was taught that the longer your refrigerant lines are, the SMALLER the suction line should be. This is to increase the velocity inside of the piping to help with oil return. Although I could see how this could cause the btu transfer to go down slightly. Like I said earlier, sometimes it is a compromise between what you think is most important for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Are you sure about this. I was taught that the longer your refrigerant lines are, the SMALLER the suction line should be. This is to increase the velocity inside of the piping to help with oil return.
    the longer the refrigeration pipes the larger they will have to be......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I would think all the sand in the condenser would be your main concern, this is the same unit you showed us the electrical compartment? A longer lineset would mean use bigger piping to raise your btu's in this case it looks like a 25 ft lineset. You will drive yourself nuts worrying about a few elbows, what's the real issue the thing is not cooling?
    no its not the same unit in the electrical department
    the unit here is lg 2 ton heat pump
    and in the electrical dept is for Samsung heat pump
    the unit is working good
    but im asking the elbows will effect or not

It's a balance. Too big and oil won't return but too small and you drop capacity. There are tables and charts that refrigeration technicians refer to determin this.

Also keep in mind that the minisplit companies don't even want you to braze on the lines at all du to the carbon clogging the system.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

manufacturer has available and reachable data that presents maximum allowed length and provisions for elbows.
    if you are within limits, rated cooling will be reached, but, of course, that does not automatically mean that you will have satisfactory cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    It's a balance. Too big and oil won't return but too small and you drop capacity. There are tables and charts that refrigeration technicians refer to determin this.
    so the elbows will reduce the refrigeration effect or not

You can't braze elbows on mini splits especially the new ones with EEV's the contamination created by brazing will plug up the EEV

Quote Originally Posted by brian.cornell View Post
    You can't braze elbows on mini splits especially the new ones with EEV's the contamination created by brazing will plug up the EEV
    Of coarse you can, you just need to purge the copper with nitrogen when brazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast