Thread: Condenser fan set screw tacked

Post Likes

Condenser fan set screw tacked

My condenser fan motor is overheating after a few hours use. I noticed the exhaust from the fan is coming out from the top and a few inches down to below the cover. When I checked the blades it seem they have slipped down the shaft about an inch and a half (there is a mark on the shaft where the set screw was originally). The problem is that the set screw is tacked. Do I try to break the weld and maybe mess the fan up? Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    I've never seen a set screw tack welded. Are you sure its welded and not just locked up with rust. wd-40 does wonders for stubborn fan blades.

Post Likes

It's tacked

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I've never seen a set screw tack welded. Are you sure its welded and not just locked up with rust. wd-40 does wonders for stubborn fan blades.
    It's tacked with a nice bead. The unit is about two years old and has never been worked on since new.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayfun View Post
    It's tacked with a nice bead. The unit is about two years old and has never been worked on since new.
    As jtrammel has already said, I've never seen that. It did not come that way!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayfun View Post
    Should still be under warranty......

oh yeah...

Ya put your dick skinners on it.....

So much for the warranty...

Sorry
    "Value our Differences"

Post Likes
    More likely it is some sort of glue or sealer.
    It wouldn't make any sense, from a manufacturing or service standpoint, for it to be welded.

Post Likes
    call the installing company they can order a motor and blade ,should be part warranty .

Post Likes

Could be glue

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    More likely it is some sort of glue or sealer.
    It wouldn't make any sense, from a manufacturing or service standpoint, for it to be welded.
    It could be a bead of glue, it was starting to get dark last night when I was looking at it. It is definitely a bead on the set screw. I saw the fan blades had slipped down the shaft and when I went to loosen the set screw it wouldn't budge and then I noticed the bead. The unit hasn't been repaired since install, just maintenance. It's a Comfort Star unit and parts aren't readily available here (Cayman Islands) so I don't want to $&?!-up the fan and have to wait two weeks for a new one. I've already looked for a replacement motor and none here with the RPMs I need, only one variable speed motor for $$, so I know no ones going to have a fan blade for my unit.

Pricing isn't allowed

Post Likes
    wait... a/c is needed in the caymans? I thought it was always 78F and 40% humidity year round???

anyway, if parts aren't available shipping is your only choice. what's the service company say? get some pictures of the equipment and the fan blade, and post them here.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    It's probably pipe dope, locktite or some type of thread seal. If its tack welded its not from the factory, somebody buggered with it.

Post Likes
    Order a blade and motor now and wait a few weeks for it. Then replace it. Otherwise you can wait until it dies and wait 2 weeks. The choice is yours.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Drill a new hole in the collar on the blade and tap it. Still would order a new one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in