Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

True Manufacturing Going To R-290 (Propane)

Just received the study guide from the boss. True Manufacturing is coming out with some new R-290 units soon. The certification test is in a week!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I ran into an authorized warranty tech I know the other day and he was telling me the same thing, but I thought it was still being held back by the EPA, something about not knowing how to classify the refrigerant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The latest I've read is True has three reach-in models with R290:

http://www.truemfg.com/naturalRefrigerant.aspx#

R290 has been approved for use in the US...but with restrictions.

Am I over thinking this or is there a chance of an explosion with a grounded compressor?

Obviously new safety practices in making repairs to refrigeration systems will be in our future. I expect they will limit this refrigerant to smaller systems so any leakage into a space will be too lean to present an explosion hazard.

This and EF-22A as a replacements for R22 really bother me. In refrigeration, a long list of interim replacements replaced R12 & R502 in many systems as alternatives to the greater expense of replacing the equipment altogether. As such, I ran across the occasional few systems (mostly W/I coolers & freezers) which weren't marked/labelled with what was used.

Look out, folks. A whole new set of service safety guidelines and repair procedures are coming our way.

This was in The News, and many other publications early last year, and there was a thread on it at some point.

The EPA gave official approval in December of 2011 for R-290 (propane), R-600a (isobutane), and R-441a (a blend), for use in small self contained commercial and domestic refrigeration equipment.

The maximum hydrocarbon refrigerant charge allowed for self contained commercial refrigeration equipment is 5.2 oz.
    The maximum for domestic systems is 2 oz.

True already has units in the field in the USA that use R-290.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

True told me the problem is, no one makes a UL listed recovery machine, of course this will cause no harm if released into the atmosphere, but the dictators insist we recover it all.

Don't go nuts with the explosion talk guys.
    If you think for a minute where these will be going and the charge amount then picture in the same place the counter display of bic lighters with an actual ignition source right next to the register it's silly talk.
    Also ever fail to light your propane torch that you have been carring for years with a striker and swearing up a storm?
    I'm sure a terminal venting will cause just as big as a flame as the ones they have now maybe even less mess because of the charge needed.
    Obviously you can not cut corners with service practices and use specific components but I feel worse things could already happen with things we use out of our trucks on a daily basis.

Is there a chance they will go back to MO in the HC pumps?
    Bet guys would like this change a whole lot more to be rid of the POE

Have been repairing r290 chest freezers here for a couple of years no explosions no dramas , best way to work on these is to wheel them outdoors.

Yeah I don't mean to over exadurate about the explosion thing, I just always think of the worst. But really with a nasty grounded compressor, you know the kind where it blows the terminal off the comp and vents the charge. Is there a possibility of a fire there, or is the lack of oxygen in the comp at the time of the arcing windings what would prevent the fire?

Those already shoot fire
    Look on the bright side
    No more phosgene gas

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Those already shoot fire
    Look on the bright side
    No more phosgene gas
    Point taken!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast