How do you use your single test gauge(stubby)?

If I know I have a bad component on a split system I change the part and do a quick check on the lo-side and SH and hi-side SC.

I have a few sets with ball valves on them that I use more than my digi's actually. If I'm just doing maintenance and don't suspect any problems, I'll just use the stubby's...otherwise I bust out the digi's. I usually make sure they are calibrated for the correct refrigerant before I use them and I have protective boots for mine. They slide right into a single pocket on my veto, they are convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimateCntlJohn View Post
    I have a few sets with ball valves on them that I use more than my digi's actually. If I'm just doing maintenance and don't suspect any problems, I'll just use the stubby's...otherwise I bust out the digi's. I usually make sure they are calibrated for the correct refrigerant before I use them and I have protective boots for mine. They slide right into a single pocket on my veto, they are convenient.
    Your a solid tech John. Good instrument maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Your a solid tech John. Good instrument maintenance.
    Well I dont know about all that but I try haha they are good for checking oil pressure on larger stuff too.

Put the stubbies away a long time ago.

Re-purposed the adapters to attach transducers to large equipment for temporary monitoring purposes.

I found that the stubbies tend to get beat the h**l in the Veto making calibration too iffy for my liking.

I just use the digitals for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Put the stubbies away a long time ago.

Re-purposed the adapters to attach transducers to large equipment for temporary monitoring purposes.

I found that the stubbies tend to get beat the h**l in the Veto making calibration too iffy for my liking.

I just use the digitals for everything.
    My Stubbies are too nice to beat up. I keep them in a padded pistol case with six inch vacuum rated hoses and ball valves.

I didn't go cheap on the gauges either. Class I calibration with heavy duty rubber boots, 3 1/2" diameter faces. I like to make sure I'm not mistaking my numbers. weak eyesight in some lighting conditions.

Where can you buy DC 1250s? Brenda said they are sold out.

When I carried a single gauge (I used a 3' hose on mine) it was a convenience item.

It was easier to have the gauge in my toolbag than to grab the bag and a set of gauges.

So, the gauge and a hose would be stuffed in a pocket, pulled out as many as a dozen times a day and used.

I tried a number of different gauges, but I never did try the boots. The crystal would wind up so scarred up that it wasn't even possible to see the dials.

If I have to carry a toolbag and a pistol case, I might as well carry the manifold set in to start with, IMO

I use mine to verify correct rotation at start up.

Then I use transducers for everything else, I can't believe people still use hose's................ Hose's suck!
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post

Then I use transducers for everything else, I can't believe people still use hose's................ Hose's suck!
    Only when connected to the lo-side.

On the hi-side they blow

Sorry..that was too good to pass up.

Some Talk, Some Do
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

What gauge manufacturer do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post

did you see the redo on the cooper video?
    I watched the whole thing thinking they updated the gauge but its funny.
    They have some wireless sensors now for other systems and was hoping they moved it to the MFM. Wires suck too!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bPOqN...%3DbPOqNv7U6fU
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Yes wires are a pain too.
    The next generation of pressure/temp sensing is wireless and I'm looking forward to it. Although the price tag is going to be hefty.
    10 years from now every tech will be able to have affordable wireless remote monitoring on all of his service clients.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook