Air quality control in new home with ALL electric heat.

My father and I built this home 3 years ago wheile my sister and I were going to school so we would be closer to the college, it is a semi (we own 1 half), it is about 800 sq feet, open kitchen and living room. ALL Electric heat, no furnace no gas etc. and not looking to put either of those in as there is no space for a furnace. In the winter it is humid in this house, the windows (good quality) sweat, the house is very air tight and is insulated at R30+. I live in northern Ontario, heating season is 5 months plus with 2-3 months being well below freezing. What can I do to improve the air quality in the house and reduce the humidity in the winter. There is no room for ducting and with the house complete we arent cutting holes, the house is only 2 feet off the ground in the highest point so there isnt room for working under there. I have read about HRV units but I am not familiar with hvac at all but from what I have gathered an hrv unit needs to be paired with a furnace and will not work with electric base boards as there is no ducting right? I have also looked at hepa filters but again I am still confused as to how they work, do hepa filters pull in fresh air from outside (through some sort of duct - like a range hood etc.) and exhaust stale air?? My gf and I are getting ready to purchase this house from my parents but are curious on how to make an electric heat, very air tight home breathe better, no issues with cutting a moderate hole in a exterior wall but like I said its a small home and there is NO room for a furnaced sized machine.

Any feed back would be appreciated, sorry for my ignorance on this subject, I have done every other trade other than HVAC.

get a few stand alone dehumidifiers and empty the water when they shut off.. that's about as simple as you can get..

and try opening up a few windows once in a while . Buy a Temp Humidity tester so you can check them once in a while.

If you don't have a central ac system look at window units..800sqft you only need a few

Honeywell (and others) make nice dehumidifiers that can use one duct in and one out. It should all fit in your crawlspace. They just require a drain for the condensate.
    http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...Dehumidifiers/

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris Assault View Post
    My father and I built this home 3 years ago wheile my sister and I were going to school so we would be closer to the college, it is a semi (we own 1 half), it is about 800 sq feet, open kitchen and living room. ALL Electric heat, no furnace no gas etc. and not looking to put either of those in as there is no space for a furnace. In the winter it is humid in this house, the windows (good quality) sweat, the house is very air tight and is insulated at R30+. I live in northern Ontario, heating season is 5 months plus with 2-3 months being well below freezing. What can I do to improve the air quality in the house and reduce the humidity in the winter. There is no room for ducting and with the house complete we arent cutting holes, the house is only 2 feet off the ground in the highest point so there isnt room for working under there. I have read about HRV units but I am not familiar with hvac at all but from what I have gathered an hrv unit needs to be paired with a furnace and will not work with electric base boards as there is no ducting right? I have also looked at hepa filters but again I am still confused as to how they work, do hepa filters pull in fresh air from outside (through some sort of duct - like a range hood etc.) and exhaust stale air?? My gf and I are getting ready to purchase this house from my parents but are curious on how to make an electric heat, very air tight home breathe better, no issues with cutting a moderate hole in a exterior wall but like I said its a small home and there is NO room for a furnaced sized machine.

Any feed back would be appreciated, sorry for my ignorance on this subject, I have done every other trade other than HVAC.

Start with a good bath fan. I suggest 70 cfm and good quality like med quality Broan. Use a timer on the bath fan make it operate when the home routinely operate. Fine tune the operation to produce the moisture level during cold weather. During the spring/summer/fall, operate the fan when the windows are closed and the home is occupied. During times of the year when the outdoor dew point is +60^F, be prepared to operate a +50 pint per day dehu to maintain <50%RH inside the space. High indoor %RH will lead to mold dust mites.
    This basic fresh air to purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen. During cold weather, the low outdoor dew points will maintain low moisture levels inside the space. During high outdoor dew points, dehumidification from a dehumidifier or a/c is necessary for a healthy indoor space.
    Ultra-Aire dehus are also good dehu but may be larger than this space needs.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

That is some good advice. Vanee makes a vigor and a 60H that are really small and the 60H I believe can fit between 16" on center joists. An HRV is your best. What part of norther Ontario are you in? I'm I'm Winnipeg Man, and can sell you a unit if your looking to install yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by D1DR View Post
    That is some good advice. Vanee makes a vigor and a 60H that are really small and the 60H I believe can fit between 16" on center joists. An HRV is your best. What part of norther Ontario are you in? I'm I'm Winnipeg Man, and can sell you a unit if your looking to install yourself.
    I am in Sudbury, I spent some time (twice) in Thompson, MB working in the mines last year and the year before. Looks like some great advice here, I do have a very good (high cfm) bath fan and use it very often, I also have a normal dehumidifier but it is not vented outside or anything of that sort, I generally run the ceiling fans alot to keep air moving. When its warm out (its snowing today ) I keep the windows open as much as possible. I am going to look into some of the advice posted and figure something out this summer, mostly the isxsue is just in the winter as there is no real air flow (fresh air coming in and used air going out) as the windows arent open obviously. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

That is some sensible recommendation. Vanee makes a vigor and a 60H that area unit extremely little and therefore the 60H i think will match between 16" on center joists. associate HRV is your best. What a part of air current Ontario area unit you in? i am i am Winnipeg Man, and might sell you a unit if your wanting to put in yourself.

You need an HRV unit. Many have their own blowers so you don't need a furnace or air handler. The one that we handle needs a 6" duct to the outside and a 6" duct to your home. It is called a Recouperator. It will solve your humidity issues because the air you'll be bringing in from an Ontario winter will be very dry. The unit can be in your crawl space and just a floor grill to your living space. They have good installation instructions. They are about 90% efficient in that they use a "heat wheel" type device to take the heat from the vented air and give it to the air coming in from outside.
    David White Services, Inc.
    Phone: 800-247-6180
    http://www.DavidWhiteServices.com