Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry
    The one from last summer was not intermittent, each time Trane made a recommendation we would do that and attempt to start the compressor. At least 8 or 10 times in a week period and every time the contactor would pop in and out in less than 1 second. So far i have only tried to start the current one, one time with same symptoms.

I guess it is possible that Trane logic would see a phase imbalance as phase reversal. All connections were tightened on Friday prior to the attempted start. The contacts in the contactor look in fair to good condition to me.

Are you sure that the CT polarity and actual mounting direction over the wire are correct. Had this happen on a Trane before. Look VERY closely at how those CT's are wired and mounted.

I can tell you from experience that a phase loss or imbalance can cause the chiller to call out a phase reversal. Also ct polarity and orientation can cause this. Bad compressor is extremely unlikely.... I've never seen that before. Poor power quality.....very possible. You could also have a bad starter module. You can swap starter modules with the other compressor AND REBIND THEM USING TECHVIEW to verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I can tell you from experience that a phase loss or imbalance can cause the chiller to call out a phase reversal. Also ct polarity and orientation can cause this. Bad compressor is extremely unlikely.... I've never seen that before. Poor power quality.....very possible. You could also have a bad starter module. You can swap starter modules with the other compressor AND REBIND THEM USING TECHVIEW to verify that.
    There's really no point in looking elsewhere until these things have been checked. Nice post, R123.

I was sent out on an RTAc monday "PHASE LOSS" alarms , check the modules etc, Would go through first contactor sequence of wye delta and shut down on first, puzzled for about 2 hours with no wiring diagrams, finally checked HP switch, internal reset, bingo. hope this may help stan
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Have you checked your compressor terminals.

I agree with stabyyourworld. HP switch handles the current for main contactor coil.
    Check the HP switch, for bad contacts and clean if necessary, and check for possible liquid hammering when the compressor starts. (Discharge check valve and operation of compressor oil heater)
    CV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12